Down in Goblin Town

Sneaking out of Rivendell, to me, seemed too easy. We had left right as the sun turned the sky pink, we also left Gandalf behind.

"I still think we should have waited for Gandalf." I said to Thorin. "I thought we were leaving with him."
"We don't have time to wait, and we don't need the wizard's aid." He said.
I looked back down the mountain path to get one last look at Rivendell, I doubted I'd be back any time soon.

"Be on your guard." Thorin called to the company. "We're about to step over the Edge of the Wild. Balin, you know these paths. Lead on."
I turned and followed Balin, Thorin stopped and looked back, I turned again to see what he was looking at.

"Master Baggins.." Bilbo had stopped to look at Rivendell. "I suggest you keep up."
We turned around and continued the path through the mountains.
Soon we came to open, rocky plains and the Misty Mountains sat in front of us. By midday we were going across one of the lower mountains, our travel was going by nicely. Until it came mid afternoon, we were on a steep narrow side of a mountain and rain beat down on our heads. Lighting flashed and thunder clapped.
Bilbo slipped and would have been gone if Dwalin hadn't grabbed him.

"We must find shelter!" Thorin shouted at the head of the group.
"Look out!" Dwalin yelled, looking up into the sky. I looked up just in time to see a boulder flying through the sky above us and hitting the top of the mountain.
Broken rock showered down on us, we pressed against the mountain and covered our heads.
"This is no thunderstorm!" Balin cried out. "It's a thunderbattle, look!" He pointed at a giant figure emerging from the mountain across from us.
"Well, bless me." Bofur said. "The legends are true. Giants! Stone Giants!"
The rocky figure hurled a boulder overhead, it sailed over us and we turned to see it hit another giant.

"Take cover you fool!" I shouted at Bofur. The ground beneath us shook and a crack formed in the path, I backed up into Fili.

"What's happening?" Kili looked down. The ground began to separate, two groups going opposite ways.
"Grab my hand!" Fili reached out to his brother then held the rock next to him before he fell.
"Thorin!" I shouted across the break in rocks. Thorin stepped forward until he was at the edge of his rock.

We looked up realizing that we had become the two knees of a third Stone Giant. Another Giant head butted ours, causing it to fall back, the knee opposite of us touched rock and that group got onto safe grounds, we were unfortunate. The fight between Giants continued with us holding onto each other, there was nothing else we could possibly do but hope for our lives to be spared.
The head of our Giant was knocked off and we went plummeting towards the side of the mountain, away from the rest of the company. I put one arm across Fili and the other across Bilbo.
"We're going to be squished!" Bofur shouted.
"There's enough room to cover! When I say so, jump!" I yelled.
We got closer and closer to the side of the mountain. I just hoped my plan would work.
"Now!" We jumped to the mountain and landed on the hard rock, the stone giant just almost touching us as we lay in a great heap.

"Larewen! Kili!" I heard Thorin as he ran around the corner with the others behind him. I heard him sigh with relief as he helped me up and held me close to him.

"Where's Bilbo." Bofur asked. "Where's the hobbit?"
I looked around then saw too little hands clinging to the cliff.
"There!" I pointed.

Ori, Bofur and Gloin went forward and reached down to get him. Thorin moved quick and swung down the side of the mountain, grabbed Bilbo's arm and hoisted him up, then slipping himself and hanging off the cliff. I screamed and ran forward, Dwalin had already grabbed hold of him and was struggling to hoist him up. I put my hands on Dwalin's shoulders and pulled him back as he pulled up Thorin.
Once he was over the cliff I went forward and pulled him well away from the edge.
"By Durin's name don't ever scare me like that again!" I put my hands on his cheeks.
"Can I say the same for you?" Thorin replied and kissed my forehead and nose.