Town Heroes

As we made our way towards the door, Bain stood in front of us.
"I can't let you leave."
"Bain, you don't understand, we have to go." I said.
"I won't let you." Bain stood tall and I had to give it to him, he was trying to make his father proud.
"Look lad, if you let us through, I will throw you across the room." Dwalin stepped forward.

It was mean of Dwalin, but it worked, Bain stepped aside and we left the house, sneaking around back and down alleyways where we wouldn't be seen.

"As soon as we have the weapons we make straight for the mountain." Thorin whispered as guards went by. "Go, go, go." We turned down a corner towards the armory where six of the Dwarves had stacked up to make steps up to the window. Nori jumped up to the window and climbed through.
"Next." Thorin padded Bilbo's shoulder and the Hobbit ran forward and hopped up the Dwarves to the window.

They unlocked a back door and let us all in. Inside there were swords, axes and spears, exactly what we needed.
We dismounted the weapons from the walls and handed them to Kili who would carry them back down the stairs.
Everything was going fine until there were a few thuds and the clanging of weapons hitting the ground.
We all turned and soon afterwards guards started shouting. We grabbed weapons and when we turned back around, the guards already had swords pointed at our necks. I looked down the stairs to see Kili on the ground, his face paler than ever. 

We were taken from the armory and to the front of the Master's house. Crowds began to form and snow fell all around us.
The front doors opened and a man, who I assumed to be the Master, stood at the top of the steps along with another man with black hair.
"What is the meaning of this?" The Master looked down at us.
"Caught em stealing weapons, sire." Said one of the guards.
"Ah, enemies of the state eh?" The Master said.
"Desperate bunch of mercenaries." The man with black hair spoke and I recognized his voice to be Alfrid's.
"Hold your tongue." Said Dwalin, stepping forward. "You do not know to whom you speak. This is no common criminal. This is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror."
Thorin stepped forward and lifted his hand before Dwalin said anymore.

"We are the Dwarves of Erebor." Thorin said. Whispers rang out through the crowd. "We have come to reclaim our homeland. I remember this town in the Great Days of Old, fleets of boats lay at harbor, filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake, this was the center of all trade in the north."
"I would see those days return, I would relight the great forges of the Dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the halls of Erebor."
The crowd cheered at the thought of the town thriving again. Thorin turned and looked at the town Master.

"Death!" A voice came from the crowd and Bard pushed past everyone to face Thorin. "That is what you will bring upon us. Dragon fire and ruin. If you awaken that beast, it will destroy us all."
Thorin looked to me and I nodded. "Keep going, we want to get to the mountain." I whispered.
"You can listen to this nay sayer, but I promise you this, if we succeed, all will share in the wealth of the mountain."
The citizens cheered again.
"You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgoroth ten times over!"

"That'll do it." I said.

"Why should we take your word aye?" Alfrid asked. "We don't know nothin' about you."

"Never mind." I mumbled.

"Who can vouch for your character?" Alfrid asked and the crowd got quiet.
"Me." Bilbo lifted his hand. "I'll vouch for him." Thorin turned to look at the half ling.
"Now I have traveled far with these Dwarves- and woman-" Bilbo began.
"Thank you." I said.
"Through great danger and if Thorin Oakenshield gives his word, then he will keep it." Bilbo finished.
The crowd cheered and Thorin smiled.

"All of you! Listen to me!" Bard shouted. "Have you forgotten what happened to Dale? Have you forgotten those who died in the fire storm?"
Through this whole time I had kept myself standing tall, and at Bard's words my shoulders dropped and my face fell. Thorin caught my eye and instantly knew that my opinion could fall.

"And for what purpose?" Bard continued. "For the blind ambition of a mountain king. So driven by greed he could not see beyond his own desire."

"Now, now, we must not, any of us, be too quick to lay blame." The Master called out. "Let us not forget that it was Girion, Lord of Dale, you're ancestor who failed to kill the beast!"
"It's true, sire." Alfrid said. "We all know the story. Arrow after arrow he shot, each one missing it's mark."

Thorin turned to the Master. "I speak to the muscle of the men of the lake, will you see the prophecy fulfilled?" He walked up the steps to face the Master. "Will you share in the great wealth of our people? What say you?"

"I say unto you, welcome!" The Master held his arms open and the citizens cheered. "Welcome, King Under the Mountain!"

~~~~~~

We were given a feast, it wasn't the best, but it was food. The company sat at a table with the Master, who had plenty of questions for Thorin, mostly about the riches. Near the end of the meal, he asked a question that was actually useful.

"Now, is there anything we can provide you?" He asked. "We have given you weapons, a boat, and food. Is there anything else? Anything at all."

"Yes, actually. Could we have some clothes for my wife, Larewen?" Thorin nodded towards me.
"Well we've already gotten her a nice dress." The Master looked at me. They had given me a dress that fit better than Sigrid's but I am not storming a mountain in a dress.

"Well, yes, but, she needs a tunic, and trousers..." He looked down at the flat shoes I was wearing. "... And boots."
"That can be arranged."

I was given men's clothing made for young boys, but it fit and I was able to fight in it. The Master was also generous to give us all a bedroom. When I had changed, I walked into the meeting room where the rest of the company were just getting up.

"We're leaving at dawn, so I suggest you get some rest." Thorin walked up to me.
"That actually sounds really nice, since sleep has been a struggle on this journey." I said. "I also suggest that you should get some rest, you haven't been sleeping, I can tell."
"I'll come to bed later, I'm going to talk to Balin and Dwalin." Thorin kissed my cheek and pressed his forehead against mine while holding my hands. "We're almost home."
"I know." I smiled and kissed him on the lips before leaving to our bedroom.

The bed wasn't as soft as the one in Rivendell, it was also a bit damp and smelled of moth balls, but it was also better than the stone floor of Woodland Realm dungeons. The door opened and I closed my eyes, hoping it would trick Thorin into thinking I was actually asleep. The weight of the bed shifted and the blankets were lifted for a moment then set back down.

"You haven't been sleeping, I can tell." Thorin said.
I smiled with my eyes still closed.
"Are you making a statement or just quoting me?" I asked.
"Both." Thorin replied.
I opened my eyes, I could barely see his face in the dim light.
"You need to sleep, sunrise isn't far, and you can't be falling asleep on the journey because I'm not carrying you."
We both laughed and I felt his hand move a strand of hair from my face.

"What if this doesn't work out?" I asked. "What if we can't kill the dragon?"
"What makes you say that?" Thorin asked.
"Just, what Bard said. About the people who died in Dale." I answered.
"Ah, you're thinking about your father." Thorin said.
"Of course I am, Thorin. Who's to say when we walk by the ruins of Dale I won't mindlessly start walking towards Dale trying to find my house."
"Please don't."
"I'll try not to it's just that-"
"You're scared, I know. Just please stay near me and don't put yourself in danger." Thorin trailed his hand down my arm and found my hand and held it in between us.
"I won't, and don't put yourself in danger." I said.
"Promise." Thorin kissed my hand.
"Promise."