The Line of Durin

Dear my love Thorin, Erebor is thriving more than ever.
Gold is being mined daily and traded among distant Kingdoms, Dale has been rebuilt and people are happy once more. Our dispute between the Elves of Mirkwood have been set aside, although there are slight grudges here and there. Dain still thinks they are cowardly maggots, but he contains himself when King Thranduil comes for his yearly visits.
I always think back to Azog and his plan to destroy the line of Durin. His situation became a win-lose, he killed you and your kin, but was defeated himself. But do you want to know something funny? The line of Durin has not been broken.
  Tosur reminds me and everyone in the kingdom of you. From his nobel mindset to his curious blue eyes, he is almost a mirror image of you, Thorin.
  To many times have we called a search party because he ran off to Dale in search of an adventure. I can't keep my eyes off him for even a minute.

   The company is the closest thing he could have to any sort of fatherly figure. They tell him stories of you and your adventures, and each night he asks me questions to confirm that the stories are true.
  Tosur is the heir to the throne of Erebor, and I find that too hard to sink in. Dain is doing his best to teach what it takes to be a noble ruler, but even he knows that you would have taught him better.
  But I know that he will be the King Under Mountain that you were always meant to be.

  ~~~~

  "Mum." I snapped out of my thoughts to look down at my son. We were standing in a courtyard that had been built outside of the mountain, his favorite place to play.
  "Yes, what is it?" I asked.
"Is it true that Da defeated Azog the Defiler during the battle of Moria, his only defense being a Oak branch as a shield?" He jumped up on a stone bench with his wooden sword in hand.
  "Yes, where do you think he got the name Oakenshield?" I said.
  "Is it true that he singlehandedly fought off three Wargs in a forest?" Tosur pretended to sword fight.
  "Actually I was with him during that so it wasn't singlehanded, if I hadn't been there he would have lost an arm." I confirmed.
  "Awe. Uncle Bofur said that he killed them in three swings." Tosur hopped down from the stone bench.
  "Did he now?" I raised an eyebrow.
"Uh huh." He nodded.

   "Bofur tends to over exaggerate things, my young lad." Balin walked out to the courtyard and sat down on a bench. Age had definitely come his way.
  "But your mother and father made a great team." Balin looked at me.
  "Tell me again about the time when you all defeated Smaug the Dragon!" Tosur begged.
  "Well sit yourself down, you know how long it is." Balin patted the empty spot beside him and Tosur took it.

  "Long ago, before you were born, there lived a King and Queen under the Mountain..."