To the Mountain We Go

"You do know we're one short." Said Bilbo as we walked through the crowd to our boat. "Where's Bofur?"
"He's not here, we leave him behind." Thorin replied.
"We'll have to if we want to find the door before night fall." I added.
"We can risk no more diversions." Said Balin.

The company began getting onto a boat, and just before Kili was about to get on, Thorin stopped him.
"Not you."
Kili looked at him in confusion. "We need to travel with speed, you'll slow us down." Thorin explained while I handed him spears which he put on the boat.

"What are you talking about I'm coming with you." Kili smiled.
"No." Thorin shook his head and Kili looked at me. I was always able to defend them, let them go along on little adventures with us, I always took Kili and Fili's side, they counted on me.
"I can't save you this time, Kili." I said. "Listen to Thorin."

"I going to be there when that door is opened." Kili said to Thorin. "When we first look upon the halls of our fathers-"
"Kili," Thorin stopped him. "Stay here, rest. Join us when you've healed." He turned to the boat and Oin stepped out.

"I'll stay here with the lad, my duty lies with the wounded." He said as he stood next to Kili.
"Uncle," Fili got Thorin's attention. "We grew up on tales of the mountain, tales you told us, you cannot take that away from him."
"Fili." Thorin tried to quiet him.
"I will carry him if I must." Fili exclaimed.
"One day you will be king and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one Dwarf. Not even my own kin." Thorin explained.

Fili took one look at Kili and got out of the boat. Thorin grabbed his arm before he got far. "Fili, don't be a fool, you belong with the company."
"I belong with my brother." Fili said before walking towards Kili.

Music began playing from a band, and the town Master stood on a podium. I looked at Kili, Fili and Oin for a few moments.
"Larewen." Thorin called my name. I turned and looked at him before raising my index finger.
"One moment." I quickly walked over to the three Dwarves staying behind and kneeled down in front of Kili.

"Take care of yourself, and return soon." I said.
"You be safe too. There's a dragon in there, you know." Kili smirked.
"Yes I am well aware of that." I laughed and turned to Fili. "You take care of your brother alright?"
"Of course I will. Be safe." Fili replied.
"I'll see you soon." I made my goodbye and ran back to the boat and got on.

We began to paddle away down the stream and out onto the open lake towards Erebor. Thorin stood at the front of the boat looking on at the Lonely Mountain. It wasn't long before we came to the shore, we pulled the boat to shore, got our weapons and bags of food and began walking up the rocky slopes leading to the mountain. The mountain seemed so close from Laketown, but as we walked along the never ending plain of rock, I thought it would take another year to get there.

It's so quiet." Bilbo said, looking out across the vast land.
"Wasn't always like this." I said. "Once these slopes were lined with woodlands, and the trees were filled with bird song."
A little bird landed on a rock and Bilbo tilted his head looking at it.

"Come one you two," Thorin walked past us. "We have food, we have tools and we're making good time."

He rounded a corner and began running, I followed to see what on earth would have made him do that and instantly stopped in my tracks when I saw what was ahead of us. The company walked forward to stand on a rocky edge and look out over the ruins of Dale. I slowly walked up next to Thorin and looked out at my old home.

"Don't go mindlessly walking there now." Thorin said quietly.
"Ha ha." I made a monotone laugh.
"What is this place?" Bilbo asked.
"It was once the city of Dale." Balin said.
"Now it is a ruin." I finished. I didn't want to look at the depressing sight any longer and Thorin could tell.
"The sun will soon reach midday, we must find the hidden door into the mountain before sunset. This way."
"Wait." Bilbo said. "Is this the overlook? Gandalf said to meet him here, and on no account do we-"
"Do you see him?" Thorin asked. "We have no time to wait upon the wizard, we're on our own."