Fire in the Night.

Dead end. No way out. No way out. The cliff was a deadly drop, there was no choice of jumping.

"Up into the trees!" Gandalf shouted. "All of you! Come on!"

I was one of the first in the trees, I wielded my sword and looked down to see Bilbo looking around in confusion, before climbing up into the tree with me.

The Wargs surrounded the trees and looked up at us. Further up the slope, a White Warg stopped on a rock. I moved some pine needles to see who rode it. When I saw him I couldn't breath, my heart was pounding so hard in my chest I had to grab my shirt. I looked over to Thorin in the tree opposite mine, he too stared down at the Pale Orc in the flesh.

"It cannot be." Thorin said aloud.
"He's dead. He's supposed to be dead, Thorin. Why isn't he dead!?" I shouted. Thorin didn't answer.

Azog shouted a command and the Wargs began to climb the trees, jumping up and breaking the branches. Our tree was the first to go, the roots gave way and we leaned down to Thorin's tree, we jumped onto that one, and a domino effect took place as each of the trees fell onto each other and we jumped until we were on the last tree.

Gandalf had set a pinecone on fire and threw it down at the wargs, who backed up at the sight of the flame emitting from the pinecone and spreading across the grass. We were given pinecones and we threw them down at the Wargs, spreading a wildfire. The Wargs retreated and we cheered, immediately stopping when the tree under us began to lean over the cliff.

"Mr. Gandalf!" Dori screamed. I looked down to see him hanging for dear life on a branch and Ori holding onto his brother's foot.

I climbed down a couple of branches to spot them, when the branch they held onto snapped, I leaned forward and caught Dori's arms and Gandalf held onto my legs. Out out of the corner of my eye I saw Thorin standing. I looked to watch him walk down the trunk of the tree and hold his sword in front of him.

"Thorin, no!" I shouted. "You don't stand a chance!"

He charged at Azog and the Pale Orc knocked down Thorin with his Warg.
My grip loosened on Dori's hands, I didn't know who to watch, Dori and Ori, or Thorin.

I looked up to see the Pale Orc's Warg holding Thorin in his mouth. I screamed, wanting to get up and kill Azog but, I couldn't let Dori and Ori fall. Thorin swung his sword and hit the Warg's snout, making it throw him to the side.
An Orc approached Thorin with a blade as he lay there helpless. I closed my eyes, feeling hot tears role down my eyes, and when I looked up, Bilbo had tackled down the Orc that was going to kill Thorin.

"What did I miss?!" I adjusted my grip on Dori's hands.
"Blimey! Bilbo just stabbed the Orc to death!" Ori exclaimed.

Bilbo stood defensively in front of Thorin, swinging his sword at the approaching Orcs.

"Go!" I shouted to the rest of the company and they ran down and attacked the Orcs and Wargs.

My hands slipped and I dropped Dori and Ori. "No!" I shouted, Gandalf pulled me back and Ori and Dori landed atop an Eagle. I looked around and saw more Eagles of the Misty Mountains flying down to our rescue. They swooped down, picking up Wargs and dropping them off the cliff.

I stood up and ran down to Thorin's side, I knelt down and put my ear to his chest, a very faint heartbeat came to my ears. I sighed of relief then stood up to fight what was left of the Orcs. They came at me with such confidence to defeat a woman that they almost went easy on me, it didn't take long to take one swing at them and down they went.

Then without warning an Eagle swooped down and picked me up. I climbed up it's leg and around it's neck to sit atop it.

"Turn around! Get Thorin!" I urged. "Get my husband." The Eagle turned back and picked up Thorin.

Once the Eagles had picked up everyone, they regrouped and flew in a formation. I leaned over the edge of my Eagle to try and get a glimpse of Thorin, all I could see was his head hanging down, eyes closed.
"Oh, please be alive." I whispered.

The sun began to rise over the mountains, I heard Fili call his Uncle's name behind me. They were probably as scared as I was. The Eagles circled around a giant rock formation, my Eagle set Thorin down and circled back to let me off. It landed and I jumped off, quickly saying a thank you and running to Thorin.

I dropped on my knees and put my ear to his chest again to make sure he didn't... I couldn't even imagine.
"Larewen!" Gandalf got off his Eagle and approached me. "Larewen, is he alive?"
"Shh!" I continued to listen.
Gandalf moved his hand over Thorin's face and whispered a spell. I felt a hand on the side of my head, I instantly sat up, Thorin's hand went up with me.

"What did I say outside the Goblin Cave!" I shouted, I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. Thorin looked at Gandalf.

"The halfling." He said.
"It's alright." Gandalf assured him. "Bilbo is here. He's quite safe."
I stood up and let Kili and Dwalin help Thorin up.
"You!" Thorin looked at Bilbo. "What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed." He took a step towards the Hobbit. "Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the Wild? That you had no place amongst us."

"Thorin, leave him be." I said.
What he did next completely took me by utter surprise.

"I have never been so wrong in all my life." Then he hugged Bilbo. He pulled away and looked at the halfling. "I am sorry I doubted you."
"No, I would have doubted me too." Bilbo said. "I'm not a hero, or a warrior.." He looked at Gandalf. "Or a burglar."

The Eagles flew around us and headed back to the Misty Mountains. I looked back at Thorin and Bilbo, but something caught my eye. I quickly went up to his side and put my hand on his shoulder.
"Look." I said. He looked up and Bilbo turned around.

"Is that what I think it is?" Bilbo asked.
Thorin stepped forward, the company did so as well till Thorin stood at the edge of the rock formation looking on at the clear view of our home in the distance.

"Erebor." Gandalf said behind me, Thorin and Bilbo. "The Lonely Mountain, the last of the great Dwarf kingdoms of Middle Earth."
"Our home." Thorin said, taking my hand and smiling.

"A raven!" Oin exclaimed. "The birds are returning to the mountain." We watched a bird fly past us.
"That, my dear Oin, is a thrush." Gandalf corrected him.
"But we'll take it as a sign." Said Thorin.
"A good omen." I nodded.

"You're right." Bilbo looked at Thorin then back at the mountain. "I do believe the worst is behind us."

We all stood on that rock formation, looking at the Mountain. It had been the first sighting of our home in years, why waste this perfect chance?
Our journey was soon to come to an end.