Farwell to Our Burglar

Thorin's body was carried back to the mountain and set in the halls, along with Kili and Fili's bodies. It was planned, that after we had cleaned the battle field, that we'd hold a funeral.

Men, Woman, Elves, and Dwarves walked around the field of bodies, finding the terribly injured and getting them to medical aid, and collecting the dead bodies to be buried.
Thranduil was among the survivors who were walking around the field, and I instantly thought of something that was of great meaning to them.

I ran back into the mountain to the treasure hoard and looked among the table of necklaces and jewelry before I found the gems of pure starlight. I picked them up and placed them in a bag before walking back out.

"Thranduil," I got his attention and he turned. "I have something for you."
He looked down at me in confusion.
"What could you possibly have that are of any means to-" He stopped speaking when I held up the jewels.
"I believe these rightfully belong to you." I held them up to him.
He took them from my hand and stared down at the white glittering gems.

"Thank you." He said before turning away.
"They were for her weren't they?" I asked.
"What?" Thranduil turned.
"The gems. They were for your wife, Legolas' mother, but Thror kept them." I said. "It wasn't the greed of Dwarves, it was a sickness in that mountain."
"People do foolish things." Thranduil nodded before turning away once more.

"Oi, Larewen." Dwalin called my name.
"Hm?" I turned.
"I have a gift from Thorin." He said. "Well, it's also from me, but he never got the chance to give it to you, I mean he never would have been able to give it to you-" Dwalin rambled.
"What is it, Dwalin?" I asked.
"Here." He held something in his hand, so I opened my palm and he dropped a ring.
It was Thorin's ring that he wore on his left index finger. It was very special to him, he never took it off.
"He always wanted this to be his heirloom to you when he died." Dwalin said.
"Thank you, Dwalin." I smiled and slipped the ring on my thumb, where it fit best.
  "He was truly in love with you, Larewen." Dwalin said. "It was irritatin' but he'd always talk of the blacksmith's daughter. 'I am going to marry her, Dwalin.' He would say. Then I'd return: 'Keep yer fairytales to yerself, Thorin.' Then when I had met you, the first feast that you and your father were invited to, I thought to myself, he better marry her, she can really hold a sword.'" Both me and Dwalin laughed.
  "Ah yes, the duel between you and Thorin." I nodded.
  "You had told me, 'You aren't doing it right ya dolt.' Then you stood up, took my sword an' disarmed Thorin in an instant." Dwalin said.
  I laughed again, but those laughs were replaced with tears and I hugged Dwalin for the first time in a very long time.
  "Ah, there there. Thorin is at rest now." Dwalin patted my back.
  "I know, I know he is." I sniffed. "It's just so hard to process."
  "I'll leave you alone, that's what you need right now." Dwalin put his hand on my shoulder before turning to continue cleaning up bodies.
  I looked down at Thorin's ring and pressed the jewel to my lips.
~~~~~~

   Thorin, Kili, and Fili's bodies were cleaned and laid on stone tables, candles lit around them.
  Thorin's sword was laid beside him and his hands were folded over his torso with the Arkenstone in his hands.   
  Kili's sword was held in his hands, laying across his chest, as well as Fili's.

  The company walked among the stone beds, looking upon their fallen companions. Dain's army, along with Gandalf, Radagast and Beorn, stood on balconies in the mountain over looking us.

  There was no point in containing my emotions as I walked past my fallen family, but I still tried my best to comfort Bilbo, as he stood next to Thorin's body. Which was almost pathetic as he was also trying to comfort me. I reached over and placed my hand on Thorin's arm, and again, pressed his ring to my lips.

  Once we had made our walk around the fallen, we stood in a line facing Dain's army. Beorn and Radagast stood behind us and to the side and Gandalf stood to our right.

  "The King is dead." Gandalf said.
"Long live the King." Balin held up his sword. The company followed his lead and we raised our swords repeating his words.
  Dain stood with his army, a crown atop his head.

  "And long live the Queen." Balin turned to me.

  Our agreement to ruling came down simply, Dain and I would rule the Kingdom as individuals. We would be both each other's second in command, both holding rulership to the Mountain.
  The Company echoed Balin's words, turning to me.

~~~~~~

"There will be a feast tonight." Balin said as we walked through the front gate with Bilbo.
"Songs will he sung, tales will be told." I said.
"And Thorin Oakenshield will pass into legend." Balin finished.
"And I know that's how you must honor him, but to me he was never that." Bilbo said to us. "To me- to me he was." He began to get choked up so he just smiled and looked down. "Well I'll think I'll slip quietly away, will you two tell the others I said goodbye?" Bilbo began to walk away.

   "No we won't because you have to tell them yourself Mr. Baggins." I said and he turned, looked at me, then at the front gate where the company stood and he smiled.

  Bilbo walked forward and stood in front of them.
  "If any of you are ever passing Bag End, uh, tea is at four. There's plenty of it, you are welcome at anytime."
  The company bowed in return.
Bilbo was about to turn again, but stopped. "Uh, don't bother knocking." We all laughed and Bilbo finally turned away and joined Gandalf who was ready with a horse and pony.

  "He'll do just fine." Balin said.
"Yes he will." I smiled and nodded.