Chapter Six

For hours and hours, we drove. The only noise in the car was the sound of crackly Christmas music and the occasional chatter between the two of us.

"Santa baby, I want a yacht and really that's not a lot." A laugh erupted from my mouth. With a goofy look on his face, Daniel lip-synced the lyrics. "Been an angel all year, Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight." This time instead of lip-synching, he sang it.

"You sound like a cat who's getting a bath!" I giggled.

"I know!"

"Santa honey, one thing I really need. The deed. To the platinum mine, Santa baby. So hurry down the chimney tonight." This time, I joined him. Together we sounded like yowling cats who only wanted to annoy people.

*********

"Aaaannnnndddd... We went from Minnesota to Wisconsin. I'm expecting free cheese from this place," Dan commented just as we passed a run down gas station.

The snow was falling heavier and heavier. An hour passed and we were driving next to empty plant fields. Nobody else was on the road with us, I guess the snow scared them off.

"So, Dan." I turned the volume on the radio down.

" Yeah?"

"That kiss earlier, well kisses I should say."

"What about them?"

"This is going to sound rude but I don't think they meant anything. I'm not sure if they meant anything. I... I'm confused I guess. Even if they did mean anything, Dan, I don't think I'm ready for this. For us. Not with what's going on."

He nodded slightly, "we were living in the moment, Willow. It just happened. So, I guess there is a chance it didn't mean any-" He was cut off by the sputter of the engine. All of the gauges went to zero. "Crap. How could I have not seen we were low on gas!?" He smacked the steering wheel. The car beeped in surprise. A tired sigh left his lips. "The nearest gas station is about a mile and a half away. Will you be okay here alone?" I nodded. "I shouldn't be gone long, if you need anything, the duffel bag is in the trunk. I'll pick up some snacks at the gas station, you want anything? Wait, never mind. Let me guess, you want... A bag of Lays potato chips and a KitKat?" A smile tugged on my lips, I nodded again. "I'll be back, I promise."

He got out of his car and started walking back to the shady gas station. Slowly, he disappeared, until all that was left of him was his footprints in the new, sparkling snow.