Chapter Seven

Bored out of my mind, I watched the snow plummet, shimmering as it descended. I twiddled my thumbs, played with my hair, and did anything that would keep my mind from wandering. "A cell phone would be nice right now," I muttered.

My stomach growled, demanding for food. Maybe there are some snacks in the duffel bag.

I got out of the car, slammed the door shut, and trudged to the back of the parked car. Locked. Of course, who would leave their trunk unlocked while driving? Is that even possible, to drive with your trunk unlocked? These thoughts popped into my head as I walked back to the driver's side.

I jiggled the handle, nothing. "I just locked myself out of the car, didn't I?" My back pressed against the car door, my legs were crossed. A warm, fuzzy memory burned inside me, warming me. Stella always called that one sitting position 'Criss-cross applesauce.'

I listed everything I knew about her over and over in my head. A believer, spunky, never really cared what people thought about her, my sister. Stella.

A chill ran down my spine. "Where are you, Dan?" I muttered, the words turning into frozen gas while hovering in the air.

SCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEECCCCHHHHHHH!

A black van pressed the brake, parking itself to the left of Daniel's car. The windows were tainted black, dents and scratches were scattered on the van.

The passenger door swung open. "Car broke down, doll face?" Said a buff man who must've been around my age. The man's hair was slicked back, he wore a sweatshirt with his favorite football team on it and sweatpants.

"Just out of gas."

The other doors flew open, three other boys emerged they all had a smirk plastered on their face.

"We don't have any." The boy paused. "But we can take you to the gas station or someplace safe. You're probably freezing."

"No, that's okay. Daniel, my friend, went to get gas, he should be back soon."

"Well, why don't you get into the van and we can keep you safe until then." His expression changed, he went from generous to serious.

"Umm, thanks for the offer but the answer is no."

All of the boys were looking at me with the same serious look that the first boy had.

"I wasn't offering."