Old Habits and New Habits

Chapter 8

The next morning, Chris wasn't at camp for the day. So, Chef had to watch us for the day. "Alright Maggots! Chris had a family emergency that he had to take care of. Which means I'm in charge!" I mumbled under my breath, "In charge of what? The prison?" Chef glared at me and walked over to where he was standing in front of me. "What was that cadet?!" I looked up at him, "You heard me!" He gritted his teeth. "YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR COMMADER AND CHEIF!" "And YOU need to learn to say it and not spray it" I wiped the spit off my face. I could see the veins popping out of his forehead. "DROP AND GIVE ME TWENTY" "And if I don't?" He raised his hand as if he was going to hit me. "What're you going to do? Hit me?!" He started to move his hand closer to my face. "Touch me and I'll sue!" He put his hand back down but, got in my face. "I said, drop. and. give. me. TWENTY!!!!" He grabbed the back of my shirt and threw me down to the ground. I tried to get up but, he slammed his foot on my back. "Give me twenty and you can get up." I layed on the ground for another 5 minutes before doing push-ups. I stood up and brushed myself off. "NOW! If there are no more interruptions we can start with today's challenge!" He started towards the mess hall and we all followed. We got to there and he explained our challenge.

He split us up by gender, girls vs. guys. "Alright Maggots! Your challenge for today is to eat a 9 course meal of stomach churning foods. Made by yours truly. If you can't eat it, your team loses a point. Let's eat!" I looked over at Bridgette, "This is so unfair. They have Owen on their team, he loves Chef's cooking for some reason." She chuckled as Chef brought out the first dish. Liver. "Something funny Maggot?" She looked up and shook her head no. "Yeah, your face." Chef turned to me and the veins in his neck were popping out. "Just for that, you get a special challenge!" He grabbed me by the hair and dragged me out of the mess hall. As we were leaving, he called back to the others. "Eat up! When I get back it's the second course!"

By the end of everyone elses challenge, it was about 6:30 pm. "Hey Clover!" I walked over to Trent and sat on the steps. "So, what was your challenge?" "I had to do an amount of gruesome activities." "Like?" "Like clean the bathroom with a toothbrush, eat yesterday's breakfast, eat a slug, drink ocean water, eat dirt/worms, and lick the bottom of Chef's boot. And that's not even the worst of them." He had a shocked look on his face, "Wow. That sucks." I chuckled-smirked (A/N: To me a 'chuckle-smirk' is when you smirk and blow air out of your nose while making a sound all at the same time.) then layed back. "Yeah, I guess so. But, at least I didn't have to eat liver." He chuckled and got up. "Well, I'm going swimming. Wanna watch?" He winked and I smiled. "Maybe. But, I wanna get cleaned up and make sure I put Heather's toothbrush back." He cocked an eyebrow, "I was supposed to use my toothbrush to clean the bathroom. I used her's instead." He laughed and left. I walked into my cabin and checked Heather's bathroom bag. "OK good. I put it back, and it doesn't even look used." I grabbed some shorts and a tank top and got dressed. I layed on my bed for a couple minutes then remembered the letter that Owen gave me a couple nights ago. I lifted up my pillow and grabbed the envelope. I examined it and decided I should open it when I got home, I sighed and slipped it back under my pillow. I put my head down and stared at the ceiling for a few minutes before heading down to the dock. When I got there, I sat down and dangled my feet off the edge. I looked out to everyone swimming, then out to where Chris dumped me. As I noticed something all the way out there, someone grabbed my legs and pulled me into the water. I struggled for a little bit before I surfaced. I could feel someone's body right next to me, I wrapped my arms around their neck and held on tight. They brushed the hair out of my face and wiped the water away from my eyes. "Open them. It's okay." I opened my eyes and blinked a few times. As I was catching my breath, the person holding me spoke in a calm and comforting voice. "Don't worry, just breathe. I got you. Nothing's going to happen." I looked up at who it was. "Trent?! What the hell??? You KNOW I'm terrified of water!" "Calm down. I got you." I took some deep breaths as he carried me back to the dock. He set me up on the dock and I noticed something in the distance.