Home is Where the Heart is

Chapter 13

The second the boat docked at the border, I jumped up and looked around. I was home. Finally home. I grabbed my stuff, said thank you to the captain and Brandon, walked off, and went to the border gates. Austin was there waiting for me. I was still mad at him for the real reason that I was sent to the camp. I threw my stuff in the back and got into the front seat.

"Hey, I missed you. Did you have fun?" He asked as soon as I got in. Naturally, I didn't answer him.

"The people seemed pretty nice." I still didn't answer. I just put my headphones on and stared out the window.

He turned the radio up, and we drove the two hours back home in silence. When we got to my house, I got my stuff out of his car and went to the door. Not once did I look back at him, but I knew he waited until I got into the house before he drove off. We always do that. I got into the house and was greeted by Storm, my siberian husky who has blue eyes. I put my bags down and pet his head. I looked around, but didn't see my dad anywhere. Nor did I see my step-mom or any of her kids. I figured they were all in bed, so I trugged up the stairs and went into my room. I put my suitcase to the side and my guitar on the bed. I went and sat on my window seat and looked out. The stars were still high above. Storm came into my room, jumped onto the window seat and layed down. I got up to close my door when I heard a noise coming from my dad's room. I grabbed my hockey stick and headed down the hall to his room. I cautiously put my ear to the door and listened. I could hear breathing, snoring, water dripping, and a voice. I checked under the door to see if the T.V. was on, but there wasn't any light coming out. Taking a deep breath, I walked in. I looked around and saw a light coming from the bathroom door. But, it looked like there were two bodies in the bed. I hesitated towards the bed and felt on my dad's side. There were only a bunch of pillows, my step mom was sound asleep though. Slowly, I crept towards the bathroom. Putting my ear up to the door, holding my breath, I listened carefully.

"No. You listen to me. My daughter has been gone for eight weeks. And I want to know where the hell she is. If you can't tell me then find someone who will!" It was a man. He was yelling at someone.

I couldn't hear the other voice, so I tried the doorknob. It was locked. The man's voice went to a hushed whisper, and I couldn't make out what he was saying. I was getting frustrated. Violently, I started to shake the doorknob, trying to open the door. Still nothing happened. Finally, I kicked the door in. I stood in the doorway and swung my hockey stick towards the man. It hit them in the head and sent him to the floor. Slowly, I walked into the bathroom. I couldn't see his face, because it was covered, and there was a bunch of dust in the air from kicking in the door.

"Who are you? And why the hell are you in my parents' bathroom? And where's my dad!?" I asked as I hovered over the man.

"Clover? What the hell!?" He stood up and took the towel off his face.

"Dad?!"

"Where have you been young lady?" He asked, now tending to the bump on his head.

"I left a note saying that Austin signed me up for a stupid camp, and that I'd be gone for the next eight weeks."

"You did?" I nodded and explained that I left it on the island in the kitchen.

He scolded me for kicking the door in and hitting him in the head with a hockey stick.. again. But, he was glad that I was home. I was sent to bed and told that we would talk about the camp in the morning. Back in my room, I closed the door, and joined Storm on the window seat once again. I stared out of the window and wondered if I was going to be grounded for kicking another door in. I leaned my head back onto the wall, and slowly fell asleep. When I woke up the next morning, Storm was barking like crazy at my door. I sat up, rubbed my eyes and stood up. My neck was stiff from sleeping on the window seat all night. When I got to Storm, I pet his head and opened the door. My step mom was standing on the other side, she looked like she was getting ready to open my door.