Chapter 16

Chapter 16

       For years, the school had been doing a field trip where all the juniors and seniors go to the beach for the day. When Dad signed the permission slips for me and Zayden, he warned us that there was also going to be an assignment attached. It happened to both Mom and Dad, and Grandma and Grandpa when they went there.

       We took a school bus together and once we got off, Zayden grabbed my arm and pulled me slightly away from everyone. We didn't sit beside each other on the way here since he sat with Eleanor, so I guessed he had been waiting to tell me something.

       "Guess what?" Zayden asked. "Both Mom and Dad, and Grandma and Grandpa had their first kiss here. On a field trip. From this school."

       "So?" I asked.

       "So, the tradition has to continue," Zayden said. "And it can't be you me since I already have a girlfriend, so it has to be you."

       "Do you really have to keep bringing up my crush every chance you get?" I asked. "I thought Dad talked to you about it."

       "Oh, he did," Zayden asked. "At least, I think he did. His mouth was moving, but I have a song stuck in my head that I was listening to instead."

       "Well, then can you please stop bringing it up?" I asked. "I'm really getting annoyed from everyone talking about it and bugging me about it."

       Zayden said. "Fine, fine."

       Kingsley suddenly threw his arms around my and Zayden's shoulders. "So, what are you two talking about and can I be included?" he asked.

       "Apparently not," Zayden said. "He doesn't like being bugged about Echo."

       "What?" Kingsley asked. "How can you not like being bugged?"

       I raised an eyebrow. "I'm pretty sure no one likes being bugged."

       "That's lame," Kingsley said. "If I can't bug you, then what else can I do? My dad barely let me come here, so I need to make the best of it."

       "You can't do that by doing anything else?" I asked. "Like going in the water, getting ice cream, anything?"

       "Ew, water," Kingsley said. "Gross, I don't do swimming. Although, that is a great excuse to go shirtless for the ladies...."

       I rolled my eyes as the principal told everyone to gather around so he could give instructions for the day. I didn't really pay attention to what he was saying, mainly because I saw Echo and I couldn't help to notice that she didn't look like herself. Most of the time, she seemed very happy and uplifting.

       But now? She looked kind of upset.

       People started moving away from the group and I looked over at Kingsley. "What did he say?"

       "You weren't listening?" Kingsley asked. I shook my head. "He was just telling us that at ten o'clock, we had to meet back here for an assignment. Kind of lame. I came here to relax after being grounded for so long and not being able to go out anywhere. Isn't the point of the field trip to, you know, not learn?"

       "Knowing you, you're not going to do the assignment anyway," I said.

       "Yeah, you're right there," Kingsley said. "It's too much work."

       "Anything is too much work for you," I said. "You once told me that sleeping is too much work for you."

       "What, it is," Kingsley said. "I have to close my eyes and keep them close. So much work. So, best friend, want to go do something?"