Chapter 35

Chapter 35

       I hated airplanes. That was one thing I was not looking forward to when we had to go to the National competition. I had been on an airplane before, but none recently when I started feeling anxious with people being too close to me.

       Thankfully, Kingsley let me sit on the end so I wouldn't have to be sitting beside two people. That still didn't stop me from feeling anxious throughout the plane ride.

       And to think, I still had to travel back.

       I told Dad I was sleeping over at Kingsley's so by the time they realized I wasn't there, I would have already been in London and they couldn't do anything about it. I knew I was going to get grounded, but I had to make sure if Echo was okay.

       The first thing we did after retrieving our luggage was finding a hotel. When we found one and got a suite with two rooms, I went to one of them and got changed before looking up the address of the venue the tour was in. It was, thankfully, walking distance because I didn't want to keep taking taxis.

       Well, it was far enough to take a taxi, but still close enough to walk so we did.

       "How are we even going to get into the venue?" I asked. "I doubt they let random people in."

       "Depends on the venue," Kingsley said. "And if they're performing today or just rehearsing."

       "I'm certain they're just rehearsing today," I said.

       "We'll see when we get there," Kingsley said. "If anything, I create a diversion. Or you can simply call Echo."

       "Yeah, true," I said. "If she answers. She might be rehearsing, or might not want to talk to me after hanging up on me yesterday when I know something's wrong."

       We got to the venue and thankfully, I didn't have to worry about trying to find a way to get in since I saw Echo sitting outside on a bench. I guessed they were either having a break, or their rehearsal wasn't starting yet.

       "I'm going to go get food," Kingsley said. "We passed by a cafe, and I'm hungry. Want anything?"

       "No, not now," I said.

       "'Kay," Kingsley said. "Just text me when you're done talking with Echo or can't stay or whatever."

       When he walked off, I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket and called Echo. I watched as she pulled her cell phone out of her pocket and stared at the number for a bit before answering. "Hello?"

       "Hey," I said. "You want to talk about yesterday?"

       Echo sighed. "Sorry about that. I was just feeling stressful and overwhelmed. I promise I'm fine now. One hundred percent."

       "Are you sure?" I asked. "Because you don't look fine."

       "What are you talking about?" Echo asked. "Don't you hear my voice? It sounds happy, right? Because I am happy."

       "Yeah, I do hear your voice," I said. "But I'm also seeing how sad you look sitting on that bench."

       That sentence was what made Echo actually look around before spotting me. She didn't bother hiding her emotions anymore before hanging up her cell phone and getting up from the bench and hurrying over to me, wrapping her arms tightly around me.

       I hugged her tightly after hanging up my cell phone and putting it back in my pocket.

       "What are you doing here?" Echo asked, pulling away and wiping her tears from her face.

       "You really think I wasn't going to come here after what happened last night?" I asked. "Something's clearly wrong, and I wanted to make sure you were okay."

       "And I'm not okay," Echo said. "I can't be on this tour anymore, Rhys. It just....It's not for me, and I don't want to do it anymore."

       "Then why haven't you told anyone?" I asked.

       "Because my parents will literally kill me if I leave this tour early," Echo said. "Not to mention the tour will have to go over all the formations again and fix it without me in there."

       "I'm sure they'll handle it will," I said. "The tour with the formations, I mean. Not too sure about your parents, honestly. They seem...."

       "Crazy?" Echo asked.

       "Yeah, pretty much," I said. "And not in a good way. Is there a reason you don't want to be on the tour anymore?"

       Echo didn't reply as she looked down.

       "Echo?" I asked.

       She sighed and looked at me, but didn't answer because someone called her name. She looked over to see a girl a bit older than us. "Come on, we have to rehearse now," she said.

       "Give me a minute," Echo said before looking back at me. "Come to the show tonight, okay? I'll get your name on the list so you can come backstage afterwards, and I'll have some tickets on hold for you too. Did you come with anyone?"

       "Yeah, just Kingsley," I said.

       "Just Kingsley?" Echo asked. "What about your parents?" 

       "Yeah, they don't know I'm here...."

       "You came here without asking them?" she asked.

       "You really think they would have let me come here?" I asked. "I really wanted to make sure you were okay."

       Echo smiled softly and pulled me into another hug. "Well, thank you for coming here. I promise we'll talk after the show. I'll get Kingsley's name on the list as well and a ticket on hold for him."

       "Okay," I said. "And promise you'll tell me everything?"

       Echo nodded, hugging me tighter, and that showed that something was really wrong. There was a reason Echo didn't want to be on tour anymore, and it had nothing to do with being overwhelmed or just not wanting to do it.

       And whatever the reason was, I was going to help her get through it, because she was the best thing that has ever happened to me and I just wanted to see her happy. I would do anything to make her happy.

__________________

Aww, you freaking cinnamon roll, you. <3

Lol, wait until Ryder finds out that Rhys is in London. And wait until Nolan finds out that Kingsley is in London. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

Here's a small preview of Grayson's reaction:

Ryder: Dad, Rhys went to London without telling me!

Grayson: *laughs his head off* You better not ground him, Mr. I'm Going to Quebec Without Telling My Parents.

Grayson da MVP.