Chapter 38

Chapter 38

       "Guess what day it is?" Zayden asked, walking into the kitchen where the rest of us were already eating breakfast. 

       "Saturday?" Willow asked.

       "No," Zayden said.

       "Isn't it, though?" Echo asked.

       "Okay, yes, but that isn't what I meant," Zayden said. "Since you are all too clueless to understand, it is the day of the year that's all about me."

       "Isn't that everyday?" I asked, and Zayden slapped me upside the head, which made me glare at him. It was true. He thought the world revolved around him at times, and basically everyday was about him.

      "Zayden, don't slap your brother," Dad said. "Especially when he's right."

      Zayden huffed. "Okay, the day that is more about me than anyone else in this family."

      "Uh, hello, we're twins," I said. "It's not just your birthday."

      "Yes, but I was born first, and I claimed February tenth as my own," Zayden said. "It's not my fault you decided to be born right after me. You could have waited a few more hours until it was the eleventh."

      "Technically, Rhys wasn't born right after you," Willow said. "Didn't Mom and Dad say he was technically dead? If anything, this day is more about him than you."

      Zayden stared at Willow for a bit before looking at Mom and Dad. "Two things. I no longer want her as my sister, and I no longer want to be a twin."

      "Says the one who isn't compared to the other as much," I said before I started mocking people I heard all the time. "Hey, Rhys, you should dress more like your brother. Hey, Rhys, you're too quiet. Be more out going like your brother."

       "Ew, no, don't be more like your brother," Echo said.

       "Okay, I feel like my birthday has suddenly turned into Pick On Zayden Day," Zayden said.

       "What? I like Rhys for who he is," Echo said. "I don't want him to be more like someone else."

       "You could have done that without saying ew."

       Echo just shrugged as the door opened and closed. Kingsley then walked into the kitchen. "What's up, fam?" Kingsley said. "I am here to have breakfast with you all since it is my favourite cousin's birthday."

       "That better be cousins with the apostrophe after the s," Zayden said.

       "Sure, let's go with that," Kingsley said before sitting down at the other side of me.

       "So, it wasn't?" Zayden asked.

       "Nope," Kingsley said. "Come on, Rhys is like my best friend. Of course he's going to be my favourite cousin. My only favourite."

       "I have a secret of yours I'll tell."

       "Do it."

       Kingsley probably thought Zayden wouldn't do it, but he did anyway. "Kingsley used to have a thing with a Bennet," Zayden said. "Everett Bennet. Yeah, a guy."

      "And?" Dad asked. 

      "And?" Zayden repeated. "A Bennet. A guy."

      "Boo hoo, I'm a guy who was curious to see what it was like being with a guy," Kingsley said. "I have a girlfriend now, so leave me alone."