1- Where are we?

So excited to write this fanfiction! :D
Thank you all for giving this book a chance!
I swear it'll get better, just wait for all the cute things they'll do when they're older!

[2005- 5 years old]

Close your eyes and imagine this...

You're in an empty room. Except you can't see the walls. It's so far away, no matter how hard you look, it's out of sight. Now imagine this room is white. White floor. White roof. Just white.

Strange huh?

This was the reality for Marinette Dupain-Cheng. A 5-year-old girl who loved Ladybugs and lived in a bakery with her family.

The little, blue-haired girl was tucked in her warm bed. Her mother and father both had just kissed her forehead goodnight.

Marinette smiled as she counted the glow in the dark stars on her bedroom ceiling. The smell of baked bread and other scrumptious pastries gave the room a delightful aroma.

Marinette blinked. White.

She had opened her eyes only to see the colour white. Her room, the stars and bakery warmth all gone.

Just white.

It almost seemed as if someone had shoved a blank piece of paper in front of her eyes.

Marinette somehow was standing up. Wasn't she just laying down a second ago?

She slowly and cautiously turned around, and still, all she saw was white.

No shadows. No possible answer for why the room seemed lightened and bright.

Where was she?

Marinette heart pounded as she took a step forward. Then another. Before she knew it she was running. Anxious to see the end of whiteness.

But no matter how hard or long she ran, it was like a large, endless field of white.

Marinette's hands felt clammy. Sweat slowly dripped down her forehead. She wanted to go back home. Where were her parents? Was she stuck here forever?

Was this a dream?

She sat on the floor of whatever this was. Marinette curled her self into a ball, squeezing her eyes shut so it could all go away. She was not enjoying this void of nothingness. She began rocking herself back and forth and singing a little tune her mother always sung to her.

"Hello..?" An unsure voice squeaked. Marinette screamed and jumped up in fright. She turned to the direction of the voice.

There was a small boy, around her age. She couldn't really decipher his facial features. It was hard to describe what she saw. It was like an..illusion. Like something...black was covering the majority of his face, stopping her from seeing his identity.

But she could tell he had blonde messy hair. Bed hair? He wore a black, pyjama onesie. It was a cat-like one, giving him his very own cat ears and tail.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." The young boy twiddled his thumbs and rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet.

"It's o-okay," Marinette replied shakily. Who was this boy?

"Where are we?" He asked. Marinette realised he was just as nervous and scared as she was. The two five-year-olds stood about three metres apart. She closed the gap to two.

"I don't know. I-I'm Marinette by the way, and you are?" Marinette smiled, trying to boost his and her confidence.

But when Marinette said her name, it was muffled. Like someone had beeped her name out like they do on reality tv shows with curse words. The boy furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Pardon me?"

"My name's Marinette," Marinette said again, louder and clearer. But alas, to the boy it sounded muffled again. As if she had spoken into a pillow.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you? I think I'm going deaf.." The boy laughed softly but sincerely.

Marinette laughed too. She then took another step closer so that they were within arms reach.

"Ma-ri-nette." She said slowly.

The boy shook his head.

"I'm sorry. It's like something's blocking your name. And your face too. I can't see your beautiful face." The boy looked down sadly.

Marinette's cheeks tinted pink. No boy had ever called her beautiful besides her dad. She was starting to like this boy.

"It's okay. I can't see your face either. What's your name?"

Marinette saw the boys mouth move but all she heard was, "Ahhughm." Like a groan.

Marinette shook her head.

"Why can't we say our names?" The boy wondered sadly.

"Or see each other's faces." They both stared at the ground in confusion.

Black. Black seeped throw the corner of Marinette's vision, slowly meeting towards the middle. Her heart raced and she tried to grab on something.

Her hands only found air.

"Hey, where are you going?" The boy called but she couldn't see him anymore. The white had been replaced with black.

She tried to call out to him, yelling,

"help!", but it was like her mouth wasn't working.

"Please don't leave me!" She distantly heard the boy shout. 'It's not me!' Marinette wanted to reply. Everything was now dark and silent.

She squeezed her eyes shut. Afraid again.

"Marinette.." The familiar voice of her mother called her. She opened her eyes, and revealed herself to be back in her room, daylight seeping in through her window and her mother's worrying yet calming smile.

"Mummy! I just had the weirdest dream!"

;)