3

The aroma of coffee tickled his nose as Keith poured the cup of jo into the silver thermos he planned to take with him that morning

The aroma of coffee tickled his nose as Keith poured the cup of jo into the silver thermos he planned to take with him that morning. He would need a waking up in order to deal with the annoying 'soulmate' of his before they drove down to the testing center to find out if their pairing was a mistake. The radio in his living room was playing Private Fears in Public Places quietly in the background as he tiredly put milk and sugar into his cup before stirring it and twisting the lid onto it.

He wanted to stay at home rather than spent the morning taking a test that was probably made by some child who didn't understand a thing about love, but then again who was he to judge? He was wearing his red jacket, boots and a black button up shirt with black jeans for when he had to go into his workplace in order to finish filing and signing off on papers from his last case that he finished just the other night. He was in no way wanting to have another job, having the call meant having to find someone who was killed in cold blood. He didn't enjoy his job he only tolerated it, he liked to think of it as him saving people from being the next victim rather than just solving a case and he took his job seriously compared to the other detectives who goofed around like idiots half the time.

He grimaced the thought of even having to go back to that office where his coworkers thought that victims were cash cows to them, and he loathed the fact he had to see his partner again. Irene was a short woman who wore slacks with a blouse, overcoat, and heels. She had a button nose, thin white eyebrows and hair, and she had dark grey eyes that set her apart from the other junior detectives in his department. She was clumsy and would forget to put her hair back sometimes or she would even forget to carry her ID on her. But the worst thing about her was that she was the clumsiest person Keith had ever met in his life, on her first case working as his partner she had been trying to keep up with his long strides and she ended up tripping on her own feet and fell right onto the victims body; it definitely didn't go over well with the chief.

Keith sighed slightly, even if she were a thorn in his side, she had great deduction skills just like him which made her tolerable, she was the one who solved most of the prostitute case by gathering evidence for him. She was someone he would greatly fear if she were investigating a crime he did, she never missed a clue. He took a short sip out of his coffee before nearly spitting it up; he forgot that it was still freshly brewed and scorching hot.

"Dammit!" He exclaimed wiping his mouth, his tongue was burned and throbbed slightly. He grumbled and grabbed a few ice cubes before dropping them into his drink. Once he did that he turned off the radio and left the apartment once he grabbed his keys. He found Lance locking up his apartment outside as he was mumbling something under his breath with a deep frown.

At the sound of Keith's door, Lance's blue eyes darted over to meet Keith's own. He looked disappointed in a way as he looked his friend up and down. "That outfit clashes with each other, it doesn't look good with your mullet," He sounded like one of those fruity fashion designers as he raised a thin brown eyebrow with annoyance.