20 - Irene

There's a common misconception when people describe loss. When you think of loss, you're mind goes to a close friend or relatives death. This however, is not always the case. Loss could be with anything or anyone such as a coworker. Another misconception is that when you're grieving, your sense of time is lost with the person life however, you can feel every second tick by slowly but surely you're able to feel it with the rhythm of your heavy heart.

However many ways you can describe this feeling of grief or depression, none of them apply to me. I don't care much for these things, life and death are all but a single concept to me; all life gives way to death so therefore crying over the loss of a loved one is considered pointless. To tell the truth, I've never truly cared about people ever since I turned six.

I was a happy child, I had two loving parents, an annoying older brother and a small brown and black puppy we named Reese. Nikolai was more than my brother, he was my best friend. Like me he had white hair and grey eyes however, he had a small scar on his chin from an accident as a child, he had hit his chin on a table and earned a permanent scar as a memory. Together we would do normal sibling stuff like play video games, watch movies, do crafts and even play with the puppy I dearly loved.

He was twelve years my senior. When I turned six he had turned eighteen, the age that made me go down this dark path I walk upon now. After his graduation he decided to go to a party with his friends and get wasted. Like any normal idiotic teen, he decided to drive home while he was under the influence, it didn't end happily you could say. Within a week my mother was being held by my father as she wailed for her lost son. I watched his grey casket get lowered into the ground slowly, Reese quietly whimpering in my arms as a tear traveled down my cheek. Something about watching the person I loved so dearly be placed into the ground, having dirt tossed onto him, it changed something deep within me and the innocence that I had once held was buried away with the pile of tissues my mom left lying around the dark home.

I spent most of my time alone, listening to my parents quietly watch videos of their sons graduation in the living room sometimes late at night and Reese quietly scratch at my door to be let in. No matter how many toys or books my parents had bought, there was nothing that could restore the broken pieces of my heart. I didn't want a dog, I didn't want stuffed animals, I didn't want anything except for a brother who could make me laugh again. Nikolai gave me more than anyone else could, he was the most gentle person in the world even if he were abnormally tall like most Russian men. He was always giving people attention when they needed it, he always shared a smile, his warm heart was felt by all. It was felt by me.

After a year of 'therapy' my parents gave up on fixing their broken daughter and at seven I felt the second change in my life after my dog died. It wasn't an accident like most of the people in my quiet town were led to believe, the dog had never left me alone to quietly read so I had to get peace somehow, right? It didn't pain me to see my brothers beloved pets life fade away, Nikolai was with Reese again in heaven anyways.

Once I took my first life away with my small fingers, I felt a rush of adrenaline course through my body and something in my head told me that this was what I was meant to do. My parents gave me self defense lessons when I started highschool and I carried this unhealthy obsession of death for the rest of my life as I began to take Sambo lessons in college.

Once I joined the police academy I met so many people who were either idiotic or a wimp. One that stuck out from the rest was Antonio Smith, he had curly brown hair and big brown eyes that sparkled in excitement like any other rookie. We graduated together and went on to join the same detective agency in Wisconsin. That's when I met him, Keith Kogane.

He wasn't someone who stuck out from others, he was in the shadows of other people, quiet and thoughtful. When I was assigned to him I felt my emotions stir deeply within my chest. His eyes were sorrowful, they were grief stricken, just like mine. He was like me in so many ways and I could tell from just looking into the purple orbs that met mine everyday. I wanted to be his, I wanted to be the one who unlocked his locket so I took on the persona of a dorky and young female detective who hated death, something quite the opposite to who I truly was.

I fell in love with his cold and dismissive attitude, his knowledge, his taste in clothes, everything about him even his eyes. He reminded me of Nikolai in some ways, like the way he would style his hair, it was just like my brothers. They both had the mullet, which was for some reason unpopular with some girls however I loved it. Whenever Keith did smile it was warm and polite much like Nikolai's, it made my legs feel like spaghetti and my heart quiver in excitement.

I beloved for the longest time, that he was my only one. I would hold my locket every night and listen to it tick softly, it made me think of his and how it hadn't open yet. I wanted to make him proud of me so I began doing all the research I could on his past and I found out everything I could, his was an orphan who had been in and out of the system until he had been picked up by one family before being kicked out after their daughter attempted suicide. Keith had gone on to model in Japan and work for Mr. Prescott who had made him a part of his family. Keith lived under the alias of Murusaki Nikkou.

I fell in love with him all over again and decided to show him my love by killing a happy family, a family who didn't deserve the happiness they had. I killed our first victims by wearing a half mask that only covered the lower half of my face and I first knocked out the kid who was watching TV before I moved my way through the house and tied up the rest of them and brought them downstairs where I carved a star into there skin. It was a secret message to my soulmate, he loved stars so much, or at least he told me so when he was in a drunken haze at the Christmas party a year ago. I killed all of them before I was forced to chase down the boy I had forgotten to tie up, I executed him on site before fleeing the home.

Keith wasn't happy about the deaths of the first family. I felt as if I had failed him as I saw his gaze darken at the sight of the stars in their pale skin. I couldn't just allow him to stay upset, right? You should always continue trying to help the person you love. It wasn't as if I knew that the stupid child was under the bed when I killed his mother, I slipped up on the second family and I paid the price for this mistake as Keith held the runt in his arms, crying softly to himself.

I didn't fix the mistake I had made, I only deepened his scars and I needed to fix it. His friends, Shiro and Allura were having a kid, this would've made him upset wouldn't it? I chose to stop the child from coming to the world. But even as I walked over to the home, one thing wouldn't leave my mind, what about Lance? The man who stole my soulmate from me? Well he would be next I guess.

I didn't account for the fact that Allura would have Keith save her, I didn't want to say those hurtful things to him nor did I wish to injure him like I did. After I took care of him I had to show him I meant business by going to his personal apartment and marking the door, however I couldn't bring myself to kill the Latino inside the home. I had hurt Keith too much that night and I couldn't bring myself to take away another life.

Now as I stand over the body of my partner, watching him bleed crimson onto the thin layer of snow, his cigars smoke rising into the air slowly; I smiled sadistically. I knew he had found me out along the way, he had figured the case out with the first clue. The vase. It wasn't fair he was so observant of my actions, no it wasn't at all. How come he was allowed to solve this beautiful mystery I had set up for my one and only? Fuck the system that the government had set up for us, he was not my soulmate, no he wasn't. You could try to convince me otherwise but the voice in the back of my head would argue with your logic and remind me that Keith was my only one. He was the only person I needed in this carousel of life I was stuck on, going round and round and round again. I wanted Keith to find me out not Antonio.

But Keith has been too distracted by the fact he found his 'soulmate'. I slipped Keith's gun into my purse and ignored the fact that my partner was bleeding out below me as I went back to the warehouse and paid the dealer a generous tip for ignoring the gunfire. He had known from the start that this was going to end with the death of a client however, anyone would turn their nose the other way for money.

Now the last thing left on my agenda was to take away the things that distracted mY dearly beloved.

Lance and Kouki.