22

Getting the discharge papers from the hospital staff was easier than walking out of my room. The nurse who cared for me practically danced her way over to me to present a clipboard with papers to sign. "Here you go Mr. Kogane, it was such a...pleasure to help you." Her brown eyes narrowed into annoyance as she said pleasure.

I took the clipboard with an awkward smile before I began to fill out everything needed. "So you're really leaving early to work on the case?" Lance asked as he sat next to me in the empty lobby chair.

He seemed concerned however, I wanted to reassure him that there was no need to worry. "Well yeah, it's my job. I've been injured before, this one is just a flesh wound compared to the time I got shot in my foot."

"Yeah but that was because your gun misfired." Lance glared at me and I felt my cheeks heat up.

It wasn't a misfire, I forgot the safety was off and tried to stretch my finger... But there was no way I would admit such a stupid mistake to the Latino who scanned over my paper to make sure I hadn't missed a thing so far. "It was still a gunshot wound though, this little guy," I pointed to my abdomen with my pen and forced a smile. "Is only a knife wound so therefore it inst the worst wound I've gotten from this job."

"Mr. Kogane, sir." Irene's small voice sounded as she limped over to the two of us holding her handbag from earlier when she was Antonio.

I felt my heart ache as I stared at the faint bloodstains on the handbag, she had desperately tried to rid its fabric of the crimson liquid but it proved difficult. If only it had been me instead of him. "Yes Irene?"

Her grey eyes seemed to glare at Lance for a second before flicking back to mine. "You wanted me to watch over the apartment with Lance and Kouki inside correct?" She asked me with a slightly uplifted tone.

"Yes, you're more than capable of guarding those two." I nodded and signed my name at the bottom of the paper.

Lance snatched the clipboard away from my hands and stood up to give Irene the most disgusted glare he could muster. "I could manage on my own, I don't need miss perky pants to watch over me and my new child."

"He's not your kid." Irene and I stated in an unamused tone of voice.

Lance rolled his eyes and handed the papers to the nurse from earlier before walking back towards us, "That is what you think. And anyways I don't want her watching over us, she's too...weird. She's smiling while her own partner is in the ICU with a slim chance of ever waking up again. I don't think that smiling is the correct way to express your feelings currently, sweety." He spat at Irene before crossing his arms and pointing his nose into the air, his signature move for when he was beyond pissed

I lowered my head into my palms and restrained myself from screaming in frustration as Irene began to argue with the spicy man. As they yelled at each other back and forth, I went over the evidence in my mind quickly. The only place that would be most appropriate to start at would have to be the warehouse where Pyxis shot Antonio and work from there. That was as far as we had reached in this case, the gardener from Kouki's home had nothing to say to us mainly because he couldn't exactly speak our language.

"Oh shut up you damn hussy." Lance shouted as he stepped closer to Irene.

I lifted my head up to see my partner red faced and balling her fists as if she were about to punch my soulmate. "How dare you call me a hussy, you do not know the first thing about me so why don't you take your Cuban ass back across the-"

"Okay okay!" I stood up, grabbed my cane and hobbled over to them with my free hand up trying to stop Irene from saying whatever racist remark that was about to slide out. "We get it, you both hate each other but you're both my friends so please for the love of god, work together for tonight and then I'll get someone else to guard you and Kouki." I sighed, watching the two as they turned away with puffed out cheeks, almost as if they were four year olds. "Okay, do we have a deal?" I asked.

"Only if she promises to not touch my cats, I don't need their looks to be sullied by her impurities." Lance scoffed as he peeked out from the corners of his eyes to glare at Irene.

"Whatever Lance. Not like I would touch those Fleabags anyways." Irene rolled her grey eyes.

"Okay, thank you...I uh guess?" I rubbed the back of my head awkwardly.

I just really wanted to be left alone in silence for the next few hours but I knew I wouldn't be able to while these two morons were together. Before I could speak anymore, the brown eyed nurse walked over to me with a wide smile. "Thank you Mr. Kogane, you're able to leave now. Oh but you're always welcomed to visit the young man in room twenty-two A any time." She stated.

"Oh...right, thank you." I nodded my head politely to the woman and glared over at Irene and Lance, "Now if you don't mind I need to go to the car so I can actually do my job."

Irene twisted around to place a hand on my shoulder, showing a kind smile she offered me a ride, "I can drive you to the office if needed, I'm sure you can't drive with the condition you're in now Mr. Kogane, and also you should really keep your gun on hand from now on since Pyxis has shot a detective already."

Lance looked jealous as he stared at Irene from a distance, his blue eyes blazing and his bottom lip stuck out in a small pout. "Erm no sorry, Nicole is driving me around and you need to go to my apartment to do your job." I gently slapped her hand away from my shoulder as I stole one last look at Lance, he seemed satisfied with my reaction as he smirked in accomplishment.

"Oh, okay." Irene replied quietly, her face dropping slightly.

Lance pushed the girl out of the way as he walked over to me with arms wide open for an embrace. He wrapped his arms around my body and whispered into my ear, "Good luck, detective Kogane."

We stayed in the embrace for a minute. The minute felt like years as my heart did summersaults in my chest, my cheeks and ears turned cherry red, and my eyes widened slightly. I couldn't help but burry my face into the crook of his neck before closing my eyes tightly, it could very well be the last time I would ever see him. I wanted to stay with him forever, I wanted to be able to stay in the taller mans arms and stay safe forever but all good things must come to an end like a wise man once said, so we slowly stepped back from the other with small smiles.

"Thank you, Lance." I mumbled as I rubbed the back of my head in embarrassment.

"Here." He pulled his jacket off of his body and thruster it out to me, "This old thing was my fathers back when he was in the military so I want you to wear it for the time being."

I took the green jacket in my hand and looked at him in confusion. "If it's that important to you then why hand it off to me so easily?" This green jacket with a white hood had always been on his slender body whether it was the summer or winter, it was always on and I doubted for the longest time that he even washed it.

He looked away from me and his ears became bright red as he stared at the floor, "Because it brought my father home countless times and I want it to do the same for you."

His words shocked me as I felt my heart practically explode in my chest. He was giving me something important to him as a good luck charm to bring me home. This was totally not what a normal friend would do for the other. This was an act of love and even an oblivious person like me was able to see it. I clutched the jacket firmly and smiled widely before twisting around on my heels to walk away. "Thank you Lance, I'll treasure it."