24

The small 9mm handgun was balanced in my palms as I pressed the button on it's side to release the ammo cartridge. Slowly I checked to see how many bullets were inside, only nine, Watson never used the gun. I slid the ammo cartridge back into the gun and placed the palm of my hand onto the slide before promptly pulling it to it's rearmost position and then released it to see it slide back into position showing me it had one in the chamber.

The woman behind the wheel looked over at me with wide green eyes full of astonishment, "You're not using that are you Mr. Kogane? You still haven't even told me where I'm driving to!" She exclaimed, her voice rising in pitch slightly, then her eyes shifted to her handgun as she gulped down air, "Do you even know how to shoot one of those!"

I made sure to know the location of the safety button as I nodded slowly, "Of course I know how to use one of these Watson, I am a senior detective at the agency aren't I?" I growled as I glared at the green eyed woman and watched as she looked away to stare at the icy roads once more, police siren wailing in the streets making cars pull over to move out of our way.

"Of course but...who are you going to use that on?" She asked with a trembling voice, as if she were afraid of the answer. Her hands gripped the wheel tightly, turning her knuckles into a pasty white.

I stared out the passengers window with the image of Lance and Kouki in my mind as I thought of Pyxis. "There were only three at the scene last night; Antonio, Irene and William Bennings. William stated there were only three of them to the police officer who spoke to us. You're an aspiring detective aren't you? Piece it together." I ordered the junior and watched as she glanced over at me uneasily.

"Three of them." She breathed out loud as her small black eyebrows furrowed. "Meaning William, Antonio and-"

Her wide green eyes snapped over to meet my narrowed lavender ones as I nodded slowly, "She's been playing me the entire time. She took my gun and committed the crime of shooting Antonio, she forged my name in the public records and who knows what other evidence there is to point the murders to me. This is the only chance we have of taking her down and you're Helping me Watson." I spoke with a hard tone.

She shook her head profusely and struggled to pull her phone out of her pocket, "N-no, we need to call the Chief about this Keith, I... I've never killed anyone or shot someone on the job," Her voice was trembling as her tear filled eyes focussed on me in fright, "I can't start now."

I felt guilty for asking such a thing from a rookie detective, she hasn't been through all of life's trails yet so this mission I was trying to force her into must've seemed like hell to her. She must've thought if she did something unchangeable, she too would walk among the path of sin that Irene had chosen. I lowered my head to stare at the jacket lance had given me, it was a good luck charm from him to me, to make sure I would come back safely. However, now as I wore it on my body, I wanted nothing more than to take it off and place it on him again, to make sure nothing would happen to him.

"Stay in the car down here then Watson, let me take care of it but only call Natasha once I enter my apartment building, not before." I stated as we pulled into the parking lot and switched off the sirens quickly creating an eerily silent world.

"O-okay. But, I need to say something to you sir." She turned to face me, phone in hand and her black hair pushed back so that she could see. "She's trained in hand to hand combat, I watched her in the training academy...you're not going to be able to fight her without a weapon. Good luck and don't miss the shot." She closed her eyes and gripped the cell phone in her right hand tightly as she listened to me get out of the car quickly.

"I won't miss again." I stated bluntly as I slammed the door shut and ran into the building and into the staircase.

You could see where they had desperately cleaned my blood from the concrete stairs days ago, blotches of faded crimson stained them with the memories of my struggle to get to Lance before Irene, the memories of my failures. I can't fail anymore, I can't let Irene get what she wants, she needs to be stopped here and now. My heavy footsteps echoed up the stairway as I slid the gun out and flicked the safety off, holding my finger away from the trigger to be sure I wouldn't misfire and alert Irene of my presence, if the sirens hadn't already. Reinforcements had to have been deployed by now seeing how the young detective had been holding her phone as if it were the only thing keeping her alive. I slammed into the door to my apartments floor and didn't stop as I felt pain biting at my unhealed wounds, begging for me to rest.