11

Keith's eyes slowly opened to find himself laying down in a linear hallway with only one door at the end, it was a crimson door with a golden handle that gleamed in the dimming lights above. He pushed himself up slowly to his feet, his eye no longer in pain and he no longer held a young boy in his arms with care. The distant sounds of a heart monitor echoed through the hall, muffled by the wooden barrier opposite of him.

"Where am I?" He asked himself out loud and stepped forward to feel a sense of fear envelope him at the sound of a familiar sob in the distance. "H-hello?" He asked the empty air around him, his pupils growing large in diameter and the purple iris's glowing in caution.

The quiet feminine sobbing sounded wretched, the sounds of it made Keith believe it was straight out of a horror movie; the kind where the crying lures you into a trap. He understood those foolish characters he used to always grumble about under his breath for the moment, something about the crying was so hypnotizing and it drew him in like a moth to a bug zapper.

He felt as if the weeping were familiar in some odd way, as if he had heard it sometime during his life. That feeling of recognition only intensified as he grew closer to the door, the crying and heart monitors sounds growing louder. "Abigail?" He asked out loud and he heard the sobbing stop for a moment as if the person were responding to his concerned and confused voice.

His hand trembled as he grabbed onto the golden handle and twisted it open to find himself in a hospital room where a single bed sat in the middle of the room, a person under the white sheet stained in blood as they rocked back and forth under the covers continuing their cries. "Why...?" Abigail's weak and defenceless voice cracked from underneath.

Keith stood in the doorway as his eyes focused onto the heart monitor chained to the hospital bed, bloody handcuffs laid on the white tiles in a small puddle of the scarlet liquid Keith had grown too used to seeing. "Abby? Is that you?" Keith called out with a sense of hope tinged into his voice. He wanted nothing more than to be able to see the young girl he had despised as an unruly teen. He wanted to catch up with her and talk to her as adults; to see how she was doing and how their family changed while he was gone.

Keith slowly stepped into the room and stumbled over to the bed where he nearly slipped on the rusted and bloodied hand cuffs on the floor. The crying stopped and his sister no longer rocked back and forth under the sheets but rather sat still, an eerie silence overtook the room as the heart monitor became muted in the room. "Abby?" Keith called out again and placed his hand onto the sheet to slowly pull it back over the young teen girls bundle of ragged brunette hair. Her arms were cut up in multiple places, the words 'why' engraved onto her skin with carelessness.

Keith gagged at the sight and he slammed his hand onto his mouth to keep bile down as the pungent smell of rotten flesh and thick blood filled his nostrils, his eyes watering at it. He couldn't focus on his sister as his sight became blurry in horror and tears threatening to spill over onto his cheeks, his legs felt like noodles as he fell backwards onto his rear in shock at the sight of Abigail on the bed. The heart monitor let out a loud flat line sound as she slowly lifted her head but never turning to face her brother on the floor.

She looked depressed, as if she were stuck in hell never to escape, her eyes dull and blank as a single tear slip down her cheek slowly. "Keith, why didn't you help?"

"Keith?" Keith blinked to find himself in the hospital waiting room with his partners, chief and Lance sitting near him.

Lance sat closest to him with concerned eyes, the dark blue orbs seemed to be on high alert as he stared down at Keith. "Keith, did you hear the nurse just now?" He asked him, his voice was calm and gentle as he slowly placed a hand onto Keith's back.