Part 2

ADAM POV

I felt like the world stopped around me. I shouldn't have been shocked. I was in Nashville at her record label's office, but Scott told me she wouldn't be in today as she had important things to do....

But here she was, in front of me, white as a sheet.

"Mommy! This man saved me on the stairs... I almost felled but he catched me and saved me. Like Prince Charming!" The little girl I had just helped up started saying, snapping me out of my daze by wiggling under my hand to get off the desk.

The little girl who apparently belonged to Taylor. Now, you'd think that I'd know if Taylor had a child, after all she is still one of the biggest pop stars around, but this was a surprise.

"Did he now?" I heard Taylor say, her voice soft and a smile on her face.

"Uh huh! Can I get down now mister?" The little girl said sweetly.

"Um, yeah... of course, sorry." I said, shaking my head slightly and lifting her down again before she ran over to Taylor, who picked her up easily.

"Miss Maisie, what do you say to the nice man?" Taylor said.

"Thank you, mister. Do you want a bonut? It's my birthday. I'm 4." The little girl, whose name was apparently Maisie, said to me.

'She's 4.... that means.... No, it can't be.' I thought as I took the sugary treat offered to me by the two smiling faces in front of me.

"Um, thank you Maisie." I said carefully.

TAYLOR POV

I knew as soon as I saw Adam and Maisie called me 'mommy' that he was confused by the situation. For Maisie's sake, I acted like it was all normal, like we were just acquaintances. Maisie told me all about how Adam was (ironically) her prince charming, having saved her from falling down the stairs and offered him a bonut from the box on the desk.

"Do you know him Mommy?" Maisie whispered to me.

"Yeah sweetie, this is Adam. He's one of mommy's...um.... friends?" I replied, looking at Adam questioningly as he just looked back blankly.

I snuck a look at Tash, who was watching the scene unfold in front of her with interest until she caught my eye and looked down as if she was working.

"Momma? Can I colour again? I promise I will stay next to you this time." Maisie whispered in my ear.

"How about we go for a walk to the playground and come back later to see uncle Scott?" I asked her.

"Do you want to come with us mister Adam?" Maisie asked Adam, smiling sweetly and giving him puppy dog eyes.

"Umm." Adam said, looking at me as I shrugged not really knowing what else to do – my daughter was fiercely independent and quite persuasive, "Why not."

"Yay! Mommy too." Maisie said, grabbing my hand and then Adam's, "We've got to hold hands if we are near the road." She added nodding her head wisely and making me bite back a smirk as Adam looked shocked.

I was quite glad Maisie had asked Adam to come as I felt we needed to talk a little.... Although personally I would've preferred a quieter space.

We were soon off down the road to the playground, Maisie skipping between, probably looking like a little family. AS soon as we got to our location, Maisie let go of our hands and ran off to go on the jungle-gym.

"So...." I said, keeping an eye on Maisie while looking at Adam too.

"Huh?" Adam said, turning to me as if I had surprised him, "Sorry..."