Part 9

ADAM POV

Taylor was out on stage every few performances or awards, keeping it moving along, but didn't have time to come out into the audience during the show and we didn't get the chance to go backstage. I caught her eyes a few times when she was waiting on the side of the stage for the spotlight to be on her again, smiling every time and getting Maisie to wave at her.

Maisie kept dancing throughout, sometimes with me and sometimes alone. She never strayed far from me though, always coming back over, especially when someone new came over and she got shy. She stayed awake throughout the show, probably thanks to her nap earlier in the afternoon and the many snacks we had shared.

"Addy?" Maisie asked as we got ready to head backstage when the show finished, having said goodbye/see you later to friends who had been seated around us.

"Yes sweetheart?" I replied, smiling at her as I held her in my arms to prevent her getting trampled by everyone moving around.

"Thank you for being my prince." She said sweetly, holding my face with both little hands and kissing me on the nose.

I heard the click of a camera but ignored it. I was too drawn into the moment.

"Thank you for being the most amazing princess Maisie. I had a fabulous time." I told her, kissing her forehead as we got let through to the backstage area. "Let's go find your mommy."

We wound through the corridors until we reached Taylor's door.

"Go ahead and knock." I told Maisie, who took her role very seriously, knocking constantly until the door opened.

TAYLOR POV

Throughout the show I wanted to go and see Maisie, but instead I got to watch her from backstage on the cameras and when I was on stage. She looked like she was having the time of her life with Adam, who was being the ever-doting friend: keeping an eye on her whenever she ventured off (never letting her go too far), feeding her snacks when she was hungry, and dancing with her whenever she wanted to (which was very frequently). I felt my mind drift to what ifs again – what if that was our child, what if this was a normal occurrence – and trying to tell myself that what ifs were ridiculous. He would get sick of it all, wouldn't he? He's a grown man who probably won't always want to spend time with a kid, right?

I got back to my dressing room to get ready to go home and started taking my hair down, just finishing taking out the final pin when a little but constant knock was heard at the door. I walked over to open it, revealing a very smiley Maisie and Adam on the other side.

"Well hello there, strangers!" I said, taking an excited Maisie from Adam's arms and moving back to let him in and close the door. "Did you have a good time?"

"It was so much fun mommy! I got to dance and eat snacks and sing and see different people and I wasn't even scared of the big cameras because Adam protected me. Did you see me waving and dancing mommy? I saw you. You were on the big stage. You looked very pretty mommy!" Maisie said, not taking a breath and making my chuckle at her enthusiasm.

"Wow! Well how would you like to go home and party with lots of friends there?" I asked her, putting her down on the ground.

"Is Adam coming?" She asked, looking at him.

"I was planning on it." He said, making her smile and jump up and down.

"Well what are we waiting for?" She said, rushing towards the door. Adam caught her and lifted her up.

"Not so fast Maisie. We need all your books and toys to take home." Adam said, without me even asking him, making Maisie roll her eyes and start collecting up her stuff.