Chapter four

Around 5:56 am, Liza woke up to the bed moving. She sat up, hoping David had finally woken up. Instead, it was an intern checking his IV.

"I'm sorry to wake you," he said. "I am just leaving."

"It's okay," Liza said, her voice still groggy from just waking up. "What's your name?"

"I'm Dr. Gayle. You?"

"I'm Liza. I'm David's girlfriend. It's nice to meet you."

"He's been doing really well, Liza."

"Really? That's good. Is it normal for him to be asleep?"

"Of course. He just had a major surgery." He chuckled.

"Oh, right." Liza smiled.

"Well, I'll check back in the morning. Let me know if he wakes up."

"Thank you Dr. Gayle."

"You can call me Ian." He smiled at Liza, then walked out the door, making sure it shut softly.

~

Liza woke up in the morning later then she normally does. She was so exhausted from yesterday. She stood up and went to get some coffee. On her way, she stopped at a mirror to wipe the rest of her makeup that had ran down her face.

"Hey!" Someone said. "Liza!"

Liza turned around to see Jane. "Jane!" Liza said. "Hey!"

"How's David?"

"I'm not sure. He is still asleep."

"Oh okay. Do you need anything?"

"Thanks, but I'm good. I'm just getting some coffee."

"Okay. Just let me know."

"Okay. Thank you."

Liza gave Jane a hug and continued to get some coffee. When Liza got to the coffee maker, she got a text from Alex.

Liza? I heard something happened to David. Call me as soon as you can.

Liza proceeded to call Alex.

Alex?

Hey, Liza! What is going on?

David got hurt. He had to get surgery yesterday on the base of his skull. He is asleep right now and hasn't woken up yet since the surgery.

What hospital are you at?

Saint Vincent medical center.

I'm coming.

Liza hung up, grabbed her coffee and went back to David's room. When she got there, she saw Ian updating David's chart for the day.

"Liza!" He said. "How are you doing?"

"I'm okay," Liza said. "I'm just worried."

"That's normal. I'm sorry that this had to happen."

"David wasn't thinking. That's all. He will be okay."

"You're right. Well, I'll be back in a few hours. Let me know if anything happens."

"Thanks."

He smiled and left. Liza grabbed for David's hand. There were stitches on his palm. She hadn't realized that before.

~

Alex arrived at the hospital 45 minutes after he had called.

"Liza!" He said, reaching out for a hug.

"Alex!" Liza said, hugging him.

"What happened?!"

Liza told him everything that she knew. She got the horrible feeling in the back of her throat that she got before she was going to cry.

"I'm so sorry."

Liza couldn't say anything. Only shrug her shoulders. She felt a tear fall down her cheek on onto her chin. Alex held her in a tight hug.

"He will be okay," he said. "I know he will be."

Liza and Alex talked for a little while before he left. When he left, Liza sat down on the bed with David. "I love you," she whispered. "I love you so much." She kissed his forehead.

~

Jason, Heath, and Zane came to visit a couple hours later. When they saw that David wasn't awake, they didn't stay as long as they thought they were going to. But Liza didn't really care. She didn't feel like talking anymore. All she wanted was to talk to David. He was in so much pain and Liza couldn't help him.

~

A few hours later, a new nurse had walked into the room while Liza was calling David's family, explaining what had happened. They were on vacation in Europe, so they couldn't get back to David until they got back. The nurse changed David's IV and checked his vitals.

Once Liza had hung up the phone, the nurse introduced herself.

"I'm nurse Caleigh," she said. "Have you noticed any changes with David?"

"Hi," Liza said. "No, not yet. Is he okay? Is that normal?"

"To a certain extent. He should be waking up soon. He should actually be awake this afternoon at the latest."

"Okay. I'll let you know."

Liza smiled at the nurse as she left the room.

~

Later in the night, Liza couldn't sleep. She was spending another night in the hospital with David. She kept imagining the worse thing that could happen to him. Why wasn't he waking up? Was she worrying about nothing? Liza kissed David's hand.

"David. David please wake up. I know that you will, just please hurry. Please. I can't stop worrying. I don't know if you can even hear me right now." Liza put her head on the hospital bed and cried herself to sleep.

~

Liza was woken up by a loud beeping noise coming from the room. Her heart dropped. David was still asleep. He wasn't supposed to be asleep. David was supposed to be awake. What was that beeping noise? It just kept getting louder and louder. Ian ran into the room asking Liza questions as he looked at his chart.

"He's still not awake?!" Ian asked.

"No," Liza said. "I don't know what to do."

Ian paused. "I need you to get on the bed with him and hold his hands."

"What are you-"

"Just trust me," Ian said.

Liza got on the bed and grabbed both of his hands.

"I need you to talk to him."

"About what?" Liza asked.

"I need you to tell him that you are here with him. Comfort him. You know how to do it. He told me you did when he first got hurt."

Liza nodded. "David. David I need you to wake up. It's okay. I'm here. I'm right here." Liza looked at Ian. He was calling for a couple more nurses down the hall. "David. I need you to squeeze my hands. Squeeze my hands if you can hear me. I love you David." Liza kissed both of his hands.

Ian and the other nurses watched Liza talk to David. A few of them asked why he wasn't awake, while Ian whispered a response.

"David. Squeeze my hands. Please love. I know you can. Come back to me David." As Liza kissed his right hand, she felt something. It felt as if his fingers had twitched. "David?! Squeeze my hand David." As she finished talking, she felt David's hand flinch, then lock into her hand.