Chapter twenty three

The next morning, David asked Liza if she would be okay if they went back to her apartment. She didn't want to, but she said yes anyways.

After the long drive, they found her apartment ruined, and police tape in front of it. David tore down the tape, then walked in first. Liza stood in the hallway. Even the entrance was ruined. She took a deep breath, then walked into the apartment.

"Are you okay?" David asked as he watched Liza shuffle into the apartment.

Liza only nodded in response. David grabbed her hand, and walked along side her.

"What do I do?" Liza asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Am I here to take stuff that I own?"

"Yeah, if that's what you want to do."

Liza nodded, let go of David's hand, and started picking up things that weren't broken. She handed them to David as she did it.

"Liza," he said.

Liza continued to pick things up and hand them to David.

"Liza-"

She didn't say anything. Instead she stopped, sat on the floor, and cried. That's all she could do. David set the things down on the floor and sat down next to her.

"Liza-"

"David. I can't."

"I know."

"Like I actually can't."

"I know. You don't have to."

"Why did this happen?"

"I don't know." David moved over to sit across from her. "But I do know that I love you. I know that we are engaged. I know that you are the greatest thing to ever happen to me. I don't know what you know or what others know, but I know that about myself. I am so fucking in love you, Liza. That will never change." David reached for both of her hands. He rested their hands on his lap. "So many things have happened to you. Hell, they shouldn't have happened. None of it deserved to happen to you. I can't stop thinking about what we will be like when all of this is over. Seeing you in that fucking white dress is all I want. But I can't see you in the exact one that you started with because shit happened. Shit happens all the time. We have to stick together, because you are my everything and I will do anything for you." David wiped the tears off of Liza's cheek. Liza rested her head on David's hand.

She mouthed the words, "I love you." David kissed her forehead, then helped her up.

~

With only a few boxes of Liza's belongings, they put them in David's Tesla, then drove back to his house. When they were 5 minutes away from David's house, David got a phone call from Alex. David was driving, so Liza quickly answered it.

Hello?

Liza? Is David there?

He's driving.

He has a Tesla, Liza.

Right. Here he is.

Liza handed the phone to David.

Alex?

David!

Hey- what's wrong?

What's wrong?! David I have been at the airport for an hour and a half waiting for you to come pick me up!

Shit! Alex, I'm so sorry. I'm coming right now.

~

"What was that?" Liza asked after David hung up the phone.

"I forgot hat I had to pick Alex up from the airport," David said.

"Shit. He got back?! We need to go get him!"

"I know. I'm heading there right now."

"Was he mad?!"

"Well, yeah! I told him I would pick him up an hour and a half ago."

Liza slapped David's arm. "David!"

"I know. I know. I'm going."

"How do you think he is going to take you telling him that he has to move out after you forgot about him?!"

"Shit."

~

Once they got to the airport, Alex ran over to the car, his luggage hitting his leg behind him.

"Fuck you," he said as he ran over to David.

"I'm sorry," David chuckled.

"Fuck. You."

Liza chuckled, then hugged Alex. She looked over his shoulder and gave David a worried look.

"How are you?" David asked Alex, avoiding the conversation that ensued.

"I'm great! The trip was amazing. How are you guys?"

"Good!" Liza said.

"How has everything been with your apartment?"

"They found the people that did it," she said. "It finally over."

"That's good."

"Let's go home," David said.

"You have no idea how bad I want to go home to my bed," Alex chuckled.

Liza and David laughed, then gave each other a nervous laugh.