Chapter twenty

David held Liza. They heard running in the hallway, then some yelling. It all ended with a loud crash and a knock on the door.

"Wait here," David said to Liza.

"David-" she said.

Before Liza could drag him back into her grasp, he slowly peeked into the peep hole. Instead of black, he saw a police officer. David opened the door, allowing the police officer to protect them.

As David looked out into the hallway, he saw a couple people laying on the floor.

"What is going on?" David asked.

"I received your call," the police officer said. "We have reinforcements coming, but these are the people that were a danger to you. It seems like they were trying to open the door, but I stopped them before they could. Is everyone okay?"

"Yeah," David said. "My girlfriend is hiding in the bathroom."

A few moments later, Liza came out of the bathroom and stood next to David.

"Is it over?" She asked the police officer.

"Hopefully," he said. "We will check the area, and bring them to the station." The police officer pointed to the people on the ground.

"Thank you," David said. A few moments later, a group of police officers came running over to their room, and immediately put handcuffs on the people on the floor.

"Is everyone alright?" A police officer asked.

"We are fine," Liza said.

"We are going to move you to a safer location until all of this is sorted out," the police officer said.

"We will go get our stuff," David said as he reached for Liza's hand.

~

Once they had packed up their belongings, they made their way out of the door and into the hallway. Three police officers were there to escort them into a car that was waiting outside. As they made their way into the car and out of the hotel, news reporters flooded them with questions. One reporter even pushed a police officer out of the way to talk to David, he ignored her, held Liza's hand, and helped her into the car.

As they drove to another hotel, they entered through the back so that no one would know where they were staying.

"Make sure you turn your location off," someone said as they shut the hotel door behind them.

"What the hell is going on?" Liza asked David.

"I know just as much as you," he said.

"What are we going to do?!" Liza asked.

"We have to just keep listening to the police. They will keep us safe until this is all over."

"I don't understand why someone would do this. I don't know what goes through someone's head to ruin another person's life."

"They haven't ruined anything yet besides your apartment."

"But what if one of us gets hurt?"

"That won't happen-"

"But what if it does?! What if I am alone again like the first time you got hurt?! What if you have to go through that?!"

"Liza, it will be okay-"

"Just promise me you won't do anything stupid."

"I promise," David chuckled.

~

The next morning, Liza got a call from Corinna.

Hey!

Liza?! Holy shit I have been trying to call you for days!

I'm sorry. I just didn't know what to do.

It's okay. I'm so sorry about all of this.

Have you heard anything new?

We know less than you do.

Oh, right. What have you seen on the news?

Just various updates. It's crazy that someone tried to get in your room last night!

It was horrible.

I hope that they have that room more protected.

Um, yeah. Liza paused, thinking whether or not she should tell Corinna.

Well, I hope you and David stay safe.

Yeah, thanks.

Love you, Liza.

Love you too.

Keep in touch, okay?

I will.

~

"Who was that?" David asked.

"Corinna," Liza said.

"Oh. Did you tell her anything?"

"Not a lot. Just things that everyone else knows."

"Good. We can't tell people where we are."

"I know."

"I hope this is over soon."

"Me too."

Liza hugged David, then fell asleep in his arms.

~

The next morning, they both woke up to a loud pounding on their door.

"LA POLICE," someone said as they knocked on the door.

David ran over to open it after looking through the peep hole.

David opened the door to find a group of people that were involved in the investigation.

"Mr. Dobrik, is your girlfriend with you?"

Liza came over by David. "I'm here," she said.

"We have found the people who did all of this."

"Are you serious?!" David asked.

"Yes, we are here to escort you to the station."

"Why?" Liza asked.

"It's time that you meet the people that did this to you."