A pebble and a rose

We began to crawl through her window again to get back inside. We couldn't stop giggling and replaying my near death experience in our heads. We heard her parents yelling outside her door. Crap.

"GO GO GO!" Maizy whispered to me and pointed to the window. I crawled out but stayed to hear what would happen. I heard Maizy slowly opening her door.

"MAIZY ABBEY ROE! WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?"

"I went for a walk."

"FOR TWO HOURS? AT TWO IN THE MORNING?"

"I couldn't sleep."

"SO WHY DIDN'T YOU COME GET US? OR WATCH SOME TV OR SOMETHING? YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE THIS HOUSE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION! ESPECIALLY NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT! YOU COULD'VE BEEN KIDNAPPED!"

"I'm sorry." Maizy lost her confidence and even though I couldn't see her, I'm sure tears were falling down her face. She was bad at handling yelling.

"You are grounded! Give me your phone." A couple seconds later the door slammed. I climbed down from the part of the roof under her window, slowly putting my foot on the fence below, and then the trash can, and finally to the floor.

I ran into my room and looked through the window to find Maizy. She absolutely hated being yelled at. Especially by her parents. I found her sitting on her bed and her hands covering her face. I felt bad. Was this my fault? Okay but it's kind of funny they grounded her and didn't realize she could just sneak out her window again.

I walked down the hallway to go find my mom. My mom understands a lot and is much more patient with me than Maizy's parents. My mom was in her bed looking on her iPad.

"Hi mom."

"Hi honey."

"I think I got Maizy grounded." She started laughing at me.

"Well go apologize!"

"How?" I laughed but was confused.

"Throw a pebble at her window."

"Now?"

"No time like the present." I found it odd the way she was so cool with this right now. Very odd.

"Okay..." I narrowed my eyes at her as I got up slowly. I ran down the stairs and was about to open the door when I heard my mom yelling.

"MAIZY LOVES ROSES RIGHT? GO AND GET HER!"

What????? Okay then mom. I looked at the counter and saw a full vase of roses. When did we get that? I'm so confused. But I grabbed one. It wasn't a bad idea. Dustin had told me to do this too...

I was under her window and found the perfect pebble. I threw it at her window. Nothing happened. I didn't want to throw it too hard and then break her window and have her in more trouble. I threw another one, slightly harder. She opened the window and looked down.

"Rapunzel, let down you hair!" I called up to her.

"We both know my hair is not that long." She giggled at me.

"I'm sorry that you're grounded." I made a sad face.

"Are you kidding? It was freaking worth it."

"I brought you a rose." I held it up so she could see it.

"How do you expect to give that to me from down there?"

"I'll bring it to you." I climbed from the trash can to her window again and sat on the part of the roof under it.

"Here you go my lovely." I joked with her.

"Oh how kind of you." She leaned over to grab the rose. She kind of just stayed there for a moment. It felt like forever though. Our faces were so close together. Like as if we were about to kiss. She giggled and backed up a little bit, smelling the rose.

Right now seemed like the perfect time to tell her I liked her. She probably likes me too. She would've acted differently today if she didn't. Right?

"Hey Maizy can I tell you something?"

"Sure." She smiled at me. This was going to be hard. Especially with her eyes looking straight at me.

"I think I-" I started but was interrupted by a knock on her door.

"Shhhh!" Maizy closed her shades and ran back to her bed.

"Yes?" She asked to her knocker.

"Who are you talking to?" Her mom questioned.

"No one. Jeez." I jumped back on the fence and to the ground and ran back to my house, hoping her mom wouldn't notice me.

"How'd it go?" My mom asked me as I walked inside.

"Her mom knocked and I ran so she wouldn't see me."

"Disappointing." She walked back in her room. What the actual fuck. Does she know? I turned off my lights and laid down on my bed.

Is this a sign from the universe? "Don't tell Maizy!" Even with this thought, I couldn't help but smile about what happened tonight.