Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Squeak!

Jasmine groaned inwardly as she stepped onto another creaky floorboard while walking around aimlessly trying to find the kitchen. So far her plan to be stealthy was not working in her favour. It seemed that with each step she took, more noise was made then before. Despite that problem, not a single soul appeared in the dim corridors of the first floor. This was probably due to the fact that no one was awake at five o’clock in the morning.

Of course it isn’t everyday that Jasmine woke up before this early, but today was different. Today, her stomach was growling at her from the lack of food she ate after yesterday’s incident. As she turned a corner, she suddenly ran into something hard and fleshy. The impact made her stumble backwards and bump into a large glass vase that she had not noticed a few seconds ago. Before Jasmine could do any damage control, the expensive object rocked to one side before it instantly crashed to the ground, sending shattered pieces of glass everywhere.

“What the hell?” demanded a rough voice as the lights overhead suddenly flickered on.

As Jasmine adjusted her eyes to the stabbing brightness of the light, she suddenly realized who she had crashed into and just how much trouble she was in.

“Oh....hey Alec, nice seeing you here,” she said slowly while forcing herself to look at his face instead of his shirtless body.

Alec narrowed his eyes at her, his whole figure glowering in anger. “Don’t you hey me you idiot! Look what you did!” he exclaimed furiously as he gestured towards the shattered pieces of glass. “Did you know how much that vase cost?”

Jasmine smiled at him sheepishly, “Uh, I don’t know. Twenty dollars?”

“Oh yes, an exotic vase from Asia hand made by one of the world’s finest pottery maker is definitely worth twenty dollars,” said Alec sarcastically with venom dripping in every word. “Think a girl McDowell; you broke something of mine that can’t be replaced. It is worth more —”

“Okay, I get your point!” cut in Jasmine abruptly, “There is no need to prove how much richer you are then me! I’ll pay you back for this...eventually.”  

Alec sneered at her response, “Yeah right, you’re poor as shit and unless your father comes to your aid, you’ll be living in poverty for the next twenty-five years... However, since I am such a kind and forgiving male, consider yourself lucky that I’m letting you off with a warning. Next time you break something else of mine, you’ll feel my full wrath.”

Jasmine rolled her eyes in dismay, “Funny, last time I checked you were Mr. Rude and Obnoxious... Not to mention—”

“That I’m hot and sexy.” cut in Alec with a smirk as he caught Jasmine glancing at his perfectly chiselled abs. “I know, it's perfectly obvious what you think of me, but too bad you’re not my type.”

Jasmine immediately turned bright red and turned to look at another direction, “Please, don’t flatter yourself. If you were the last male on earth, I still wouldn’t go for such an arrogant guy like you.”

“Well that is fine with me. I will have the rest of the female population to keep me busy,” said Alec as he glanced down at his watch for a second. “Anyways enough chit-chat, why don’t you tell me what you’re doing up so early? Don’t you know that you’re not supposed to be out of bed at this hour? ”

“First of all, I think I have the right to be out of bed whenever I want to, and second of all, I woke up because my stomach was growling. Therefore, I decided to venture out into the halls to find some food,” admitted Jasmine lamely.