Chapter Twenty Seven

Alec leaned against his balcony feeling the cool air hit him as he stared out into the night sky. Everything seemed so perfect and unified, but in reality he was far from it. The drive back to the hospital had gone completely wrong. He didn’t expect the doctor to call him explaining to him that the results of his little sister’s blood test had indicated that she was dying of cancer. How could it be possible that she had leukemia? Why did it have to be her?

Bitter thoughts swirled around his head as he drowned his sorrows in alcohol. For a long time, it was Madeline who had kept him from going insane. With their crazy parents and his constant guilt of Tasha’s death, all he ever done was focus on work. She was one of the few people he had ever cared so dearly for and he was going to lose her just as she had lost his childhood friend. As anger started to boil in him, there was a sudden knock on the door. Curiously he walked back into his room just in time to see the doors swing open.

“Hey I got your text message, is everything okay—” Leila stopped in mid sentence as she saw her intoxicated ex-boyfriend. His hair was tousled, his eyes were red and he was shaking in hysteria. “Oh. My. God. What on earth happened to you?” she demanded while striding to his side.

Alec stared down at his empty glass of wine for a moment before he threw it at the wall in anger and frustration. There was an immediate shattering sound as a million pieces of sparkling glass spewed on the floor. Then he turned to look at her with haunting eyes. “Do I look fucking okay to you?” he growled.

The lash of anger in his voice made Leila cringe. With the exception of the death of Alec’s childhood friend, she had never seen him this upset before. He was always so composed and emotionless when it comes to touchy subjects. To see him like this was almost scary. “Alright I take it that you’re not okay. Tell me then, what’s troubling your mind?” she asked softly while pulling him into a tight embrace.

Alec didn’t answer. He could only feel his chest start to heave with dry sobs. “Everything is wrong...just everything.”  

Leila sighed at his vague statement. It seems like she would be staying here for a while to get to the bottom of the mystery. “Honey I can’t help you if you don’t tell me specifically what’s wrong, but if you insist on being that way, how about a little something to make you feel better?” she suggested before leaning in to kiss him. It was a short and sweet one that reminded Leila of back in the days when she was still in Alec’s arms. “Oh how I miss your kisses,” she muttered breathlessly as she proceeded to removing his shirt. “And your body.”

He just looked at her frozenly. “J...Jasmine?” he asked confusedly.

Leila’s flawless face crinkled. Confusion and irritation was obviously displayed on her face. He must be mixing her up with that girl from the stupid reality show. “It’s Leila. L-E-I-L-A,” she spelled out, feeling resentment burn in her. “You have some nerve to text me for help, only to think I’m one of your slutty contestant girls!”

Alec’s eyes widening as his foggy brain suddenly clicked. Shit.  

Munching on food always helped Jasmine’s brain function, especially when she needed to think over the day’s events. Everything seemed to have happened so fast that she didn’t know what to feel or how to react. If only she was better at cooking though...

So far her midnight snack has turned disastrous with her mutilated eggs and burnt toast. Jasmine nearly jumped out of her skin when the fire alarm in the kitchen went off. She was sure the loud noise had woken up all the contestants, but when she managed to manually turn the device off, nobody came looking to kill her. In the end Jasmine decided to settle for a banana and yogurt.