Chapter 5

5

“That… that!” Vera fumed. She’d had to pull herself and Bane together before something regrettable happened.

“Do you still want to hold the execution?” Bane asked with a mean satisfaction.

“Damn it! You know we have to find out what his plans are!” Vera snapped. “He could get someone else to put more of the infection in the water!”

“You heard him!” Bane retorted. “That’s all he knows!”

“It’s not, and when someone hides something, it’s because it’s important.” Vera replied. She took a breath. “I’m going to see Sofi, and then I’m telling the council about the disease.”

“I will, check on Sofi.” Bane said softly and gave her a brief hug before walking towards the council.

***

“Sofi?” Vera called at the door to her room.

Enthusiastically Sofi flung the door open and hugged Vera.

“Are you better now?” She asked, looking up.

“Yes, how about you?” Vera said as she picked up her sister.

“All better!” Sofi announced, smiling. Vera smiled back, and then her face turned serious.

“Sofi, I need you to promise me something…” Vera began. She thought of how her sister had lost three lives to the disease Drake had poured away. She had less lives left than Vera, twice her age.

“Yes?” Sofi said uncertainly.

“Do not drink the water in the brook, okay? Only water out of the well, and I want you to be sure it’s well water before you drink it, alright?”

“Is this because I go sick?”

“Yes Sofi, a bad man put poison in the water.” Vera knew her sister had a deep understanding  that was unusual for her age, and she’d be upset if she was told anything but the truth. Sofi nodded her big eyes wide.

“I understand.”

“And Sofi?”

“Yes Vera?”

“Please stay near the village.”

Sofi nodded again and they curled up on her bed.

“Can you read me a story?” She asked.

“Sure, what one?” Vera smiled and pulled one off the shelf.

***

She was on her own this time. She wanted to beat the hell out of Drake, but then she’d be on the same level as Bane, and she had to keep him in line.

She reached the cell and opened the door. Drake bolted up, his face was colourful from the beating she’d given him yesterday. He warily back away.

“Don’t suppose you’re in the mood for healing this?” He gestured to his face.

“No.” She snapped

“Hey…” He soothed.

“In fact I want to give you a matching set. But that won’t get us anywhere.”

“Why are you the only person who comes down here?” He asked.

“You’re on death’s row as far as they’re concerned. Weather you’re half-starved when you get there or not doesn’t matter.” She was mildly surprised that he didn’t seem scared of death.

“As far as they’re concerned?” He asked.

“You’re more useful alive.” She stated.

“I’m confused. Aside from your boyfriend you seem to hate me most, and yet you’re petitioning to keep me alive?” She flushed and looked surprised when he called Bane her boyfriend.

“Yes. Why aren’t you worried about dying?” She asked.

“Best thing that can happen to me, really.” He shrugged.

“Why does Valdor want to give us this disease?” She demanded. Drake just stood there.

***

Her mouth set in a firm line, her eyes turned to steel, and when she spoke, she lowered her voice, and it carried a cool emotionless fury.

“I can do twice as much as those little breaks I gave you, send you to the brink of oblivion, and heal you so you can feel it all again. I can kill you over and over without giving you the release of death. I can make you cough up your own blood until you pass out. And I can make you shift.”

His breath hitched at her last threat. “That’s impossible...” He said softly.

“You know nothing of us, and neither does your leader.” She sneered. “I can and will. And if you think I’ll stand idly by while he poisons my friends and family to death, you’re wrong.”

He realised then, why Valdor had ordered him to release the infection, she would do anything to save her family.

“You cannot go outside again; I swear to you, he will kill you.” Drake said.

“Why?”

“He’s killing this village to get you, and the others, to surrender. He doesn’t need you and he will kill you. I know there are five of you. I know his grand plan is to see all of you dead and the rest of these people grovelling at his feet. If you try to protect you family you will kill them. You wanted information, that’s all I know. I’d appreciate it if you’d ask them to hurry along my execution. It’s the best road for me now.”

Vera stared at him. Her threats of torture had been a fury of the moment thing, but they hadn’t swayed him. He’d told her to save her family.

After a minute she spoke again.

“I have one more question.”

“I told you-” She cut him off.

“I heard, How did you get over that wall?” He blinked.

“Same way you did. You were there.”

“You don’t get it. The Forsaken can’t get past that wall. Certainly not Valdor. That’s why he sent you with that virus. So… can anyone else get over that wall, and why can you?”

“Honestly-I didn’t know there was an enchantment in place. I was specifically picked for that. At the time I thought it was because…” He sharply cut himself off. She stared him down.

“You’re protecting someone.” She said. “I don’t want to know.” She didn’t need to feel pity for this man, who’d killed two good men, tried to kill Bane, carried in the disease that could have killed her sister. Obviously now, that was a ploy to lure her away for the cure, but he was no more than an assassin for Valdor. She would not pity an assassin.

“I’ll ask about the execution. Thank you for the information… Goodbye.” She left him in his cell, and he suddenly felt very alone.

His thoughts turned to his sister and mother. When he was dead Valdor would have no use for them. He’d kick them out, but they’d be safe in the woods.

It was the only thing he could do for them.