Chapter 6

6

Vera stood staring at the brook. She used to love the reflection, the ripples of the water, the way the light hit it; now, she could barely stand to look at it. It was tainted, spoiled.

Her thoughts turned to the forsaken prisoner in the dungeon. She loathed him for the poison he’d brought to her home. She despised him for killing men she’d known all her life. She felt like retching when she thought that he followed Valdor.

And yet, she was postponing the end of his life.

It wasn’t just that she was trying to get the answers to her questions from him, she felt sick at the thought of him dying.

She had begun to suspect that maybe he was sheltering someone from Valdor’s wrath. But that still didn’t excuse what he’d done.

She’d never seen anyone from outside before, and he was unlike anything within her walls. She couldn’t speak to Lana about this. She was too quick-acting; she’d say his execution was the swiftest and most sensible course of action.

But perhaps there was someone else, someone very perceptive, someone good at reading people.

***

Days passed and still Drake lived.

Vera gave him food and spoke to him little. He remained silent as well and merely studied her. Several days after his arrival, he spoke.

Vera had handed him a bowl of stew and had stood to leave when his voice, low, yet melodious and beautiful, filled the silence.

“You must be very kind-hearted.”

She lifted her head in surprise.

“After all I’ve done to you, you call me kind?” She asked, bewildered.

“I can tell that you hate me. Sometimes it revolts you to look at my face. Yet you feed me every day, you took the time to heal my wounds, you prevent my execution. You show the smallest amount of kindness to someone who doesn’t deserve it, who you despise, I can only wonder the kindness you give to those you love.” Vera stood still; his words had caught her by surprise. But they were true.

She barely heard him murmur,

“They are lucky to be loved by you…” She wondered if he’d even said it, but he had. She didn’t acknowledge him anymore and left.

Bane didn’t follow her to Drake’s cell anymore. He simply waited for her at the top of the stairs.

“You took longer today.” He remarked as they began to walk.

“He called me kind.”

“You are kind.”

“Not to him, he thinks I’ve shown him some great kindness, but I haven’t”

“He’s forsaken Vera, who knows how Valdor treats them.”

Vera stopped and lowered her voice. “You believe Valdor lives?”

“Of course, no-one doubts that, not now, it is your theroies about the infection they reject.” Bane assured her.

“By ‘they’ do you mean yourself as well?”

“Never. You know I will always believe you first, Vera.”

***

Vera tucked Sofi into her bed and continued to muse out loud.

“Valdor wants the pendants of the Houses. He wants the leaders of the Houses dead, presumably to take the power of each House. But why now? Why inflict us with this virus?”

“Because while the Elders are first and foremost concerned with the health of our people, our defences will become slacker. We will most likely need to venture outside for another water supply as well. We will be weak, and that will enhance his first blow. It will give him the illusion of power. And, if he is all the stories say, the illusion will be all he needs.” Sofi answered. Vera smiled at her.

“I often forget how insightful you are, little mouse.” Vera said.

“What about the man in the dungeons?” Sofi asked.

“What about him?”

“You won’t let them kill him will you?” Vera frowned.

“He… deserves to die.”

“Please don’t say that! No-one deserves to die!” Sofi argued.

“Shh, Hush mouse, there are some people in the lands I hope you never lay eyes on, for then you can continue to think that.” Vera stroked Sofi’s hair and stood up.

“Do you want him to die?” She asked. Her voice was full of innocence. Vera paused.

“I… I don’t know” She answered softly, and closed the door.