Chapter 29

29

It was the biggest day of their lives; Coronation day. The talk of war and coming battles turned to chatter of the new heads of the houses. Weapon preparation turned to baking and celebration. For one day everything would be forgotten. Valdor was building his forces up, an ever-present threat, but tomorrow they would strike him before he was ready, and they would smash the chess board and interrupt his carefully planned moves.

For today however, it was time to celebrate. The coronation was so soon, and the attack quick to follow, that Valdor would have no time to realise the heirs had already been crowned.

Streamers had appeared overnight, covering houses and roofs. Everywhere people sung and rejoiced in their best clothes. A platform had been erected for the ceremony to take place on and food and jugs of ale were in plentiful supply. Children wove colourful banners through the streets and dance to their own rhythm. Anyone who could play was in the streets turning out jaunty tune after tune.

The princesses waited to been summoned for their entrance. They were in the main entrance of the Elder’s Hall. When the ceremony began they would be called to walk from the steps of the hall to the platform. Layers of silk and velvet filled the stone hallway as six nervous young women waiting in anticipation.

“This is it,” Maya breathed.

“What do I have to do again?” Raven asked nervously, and Lana whispered the outline of the ceremony to her.

“I think I’m going to faint,” Erika mumbled.

“Ye gods! Heaven help you tomorrow,” Irene muttered under her breath. Vera rubbed Erika reassuringly on the back. Lana’s mother waited at the door, slightly ajar so she could hear outside. She waved the girls over.

“It’s time. Don’t fear, relax,” she ordered reassuringly. The heirs nodded.

Lana’s mother opened the doors wide. A golden beam of light grew and stretched into the hallway, illuminating Erika.

“Princess Erika Ram, heir to the House of Ram!” An Elder announced. The crowds outside cheered wildly. When Erika reached the platform he called another name.

“Princess Vera Feline, heir to the House of Feline!” Another pause,

“Princess Irene Boar, heir to the House of Boar!” The crowd renewed their cheers, war cries bellowing from those of the House of Boar.

“Princess Lana Equine, heir to the House of Equine!”

“Princess Maya Dog, Heir to the House of Dog!” The crowed whistled and yelled.

“Princess Raven, heir to the House of Avian!” The Elder said. The crowd quietened in confusion. Raven began to walk forward nervously. Lana mouthed to her to stand straight. Raven collected herself as best she could. There was near silence now.

And then someone began to clap. Sofi was near the front, being the sister to an heir, and she was clapping loudly. Bane stood a little behind her, also clapping loudly. One by one, some that Raven had met and many she hadn’t, the crowed resumed cheering. Raven reached the platform and climbed it, taking her place with the other heirs.

“We are gathered today to witness the passing of the Head of House from one generation to the next.” An Elder began. The ceremony continued and the world fell into silence, with the exception of the Elder’s words. As he spoke the current Heads of house, members of the Elders, approached the heirs. They were tall in their robes, flowing rich colours and velvets, regal in every sense of the word. Each of them wore a thin ceremonial gold circlet. When the proper point arrived they passed their circlets onto the princesses. Another elder from the house of Ram came to present a circlet to Raven, as she had no predecessor.