Chapter 16

16

Vera decided it was best if no-one knew about Drake’s sister, including Lana. So when she met with her back beneath some elm trees she left out that part of her story. And the part where she’d been firmly wrapped in Drake’s arms. Lana didn’t need a reason to doubt her trust in the forsaken shifter.

“So whatever Valdor was going to do, he’s not now?” Lana tried to clarify as they walked back towards the village.

“Maybe, his end goal is no doubt the same, but I think he’s just working his plan around the lack of magical protection.”

“So we’ve got a little more time before he’s again ready to attack?”

“Hopefully, but Drake warned he works fast. He’s waited centuries for this. He’s not going to stop now. We still need to be prepared for a strike at any time.”

They lapsed into silence, each thinking about Valdor and his unknown, but most likely formidable, strength.

Vera’s thoughts wandered into the cloudy haze that surrounded anything to do with Drake. It seemed impossible to tell what side he was on, traitor, or cunning double-crosser. Whatever happened with his sister would illuminate his true standing, Vera decided. It was now only a matter of waiting.

***

Sofi sat with Bane in the study. She was curled up in an old lumpy leather chair, her perceptive gaze resting on Bane.

He sat in one of the most comfortable sofas in the entire House, and yet he was tense, his back was ramrod straight and he looked as if he would leap across the room at the slightest surprise. His eyes shifted uncomfortably around the room, he had the posture of someone who was nervous rather than on guard. It was the slightest distinguishing of the two that only Sofi could make.

“Vera is much better now,” Sofi remarked calmly.

“I know,” Bane’s reply was sharp and couldn’t have been shorter.

“She wanted to thank you for helping her when she collapsed, but apparently you haven’t been on duty.” Sofi continued. Bane swallowed.

“She doesn’t need to thank me.”

“Then why did you come?” Sofi had a way of pressing someone so that they wouldn’t snap back, but instead quietly give into her sound reasoning.

“To speak with her,”

“About what?”

Bane paused before he reluctantly answered, “I doubt her judgment on certain things,”

“Vera has very sound judgment,”

“I know, but I think something is preventing her from seeing right,”

“She may see a right way, that does not mean it’s your right way,” Sofi rebuked him. Bane sighed.

“I think she’s been blinded to the truth and is making risky choices. She knows she’ll be head of the House soon, she can’t risk what I think she will,” He defended.

“You can’t judge a person by an act they have not committed yet.” Sofi pointed out.

Bane slammed his fist into the table then apologized when he saw Sofi jump. There was a small chip in the wood from the force of his punch.

“Sorry, I should go- I can’t reason with Vera if I’m like this,” Bane turned to leave.

“You need to talk to her, or your silence will poison the way you see her.”