Chapter 9

9

Lana reached for a book from her antique self, her long brown hair pooling over her shoulder as her tall lithe form stretched up, and motioned for Vera to continue.

“The infection comes from birds. So the virus disappeared when the Avian were exiled and the birds left with them. It makes sense then that the cure for the disease grows where the birds are…”

“…Outside.” Lana concluded. “And you’re saying that you found the cure and cured Sofi.”

“You’ve seen her. It’s like she was never ill.”

“And this Forsaken man in the dungeons,”

“Drake, yes” Vera supplied.

“He confesses he infected our water?”

“Yes, but only the brook, so we still have the uncontaminated well.”

“Still, that is our main source of water. If Valdor is as you say, still alive, and he wants us, then this sounds like a very good way to lure us out.”

“Yes, I discussed that with Sofi and we came to the same conclusion.”

“The man, Drake, is still alive in the dungeons, is he not?”

“That’s true.”

“I’m surprised. I would have thought you’d be down there sharpening the blade to do it yourself.”

“Circumstances require him alive.”

“Good to see you aren’t as bloodthirsty as the Princess of Boar. Yet,” Lana commented.

“No-one can rival Irene in the pursuits of blood and battle.” Vera replied with a smile.

A maid knocked on the door and told Lana she had been summoned by her father. She rose to say goodbye. The hem of her long emerald dress snagged gently on the carpet as she walked out.

“I swear, the closer I get to taking charge of the House, the less certain father is that I am ready.” Lana joked, her blue-green eyes glinting.

“Well you are, and I will be glad to have you standing beside me, friend.” Vera hugged Lana and showed herself out.

Now that she was alone and the late afternoon sun was slowly fading, nerves began to take over. Vera shook herself and starting running to the dungeons.

What she was doing was wrong, she herself had the greatest reason of all to keep Drake safely locked up, but if the risk she was taking paid off, they could gain valuable knowledge to prepare for whatever Valdor was surely planning.

***

Drake looked up in surprise when Vera emerged from the shadows with the key to his cell. He had expected her to leave him, yet here she was.

She reached for the lock and paused.

“If you go back on your word I will personally hunt you down and drag you back within these walls. Understand?” She said.

“Understood.” Drake agreed.

Vera twisted the key and the cell door swung open with a groan.

“You’re a shifter, right?” She checked as she headed for the stairs.

“Yes, all of my people are.” Drake said as he followed her.

“You can shift at will?”

“Of course,”

“Good. Do it now.”

Vera opened the door of the dungeon. Cautiously she checked no-one was around. Opening the door further, she slipped out into the night, a large dark brown owl on her shoulder.

“Go!” She whispered as she stole across the fields.

Drake’s talons dug into her skin for a moment as he pushed off into the night and Vera hissed. With one silent beat of his wings he was gone. She looked into the gloom of night but he was as excellent a hunter in bird form as he was when human and no doubt fast on his way over the walls.

She continued to sneak around the corners of buildings until she was closer to home, and then strolled casually down the street. It was almost as if she hadn’t just freed the man that could mean her destruction.