Chapter Two

The Test

Chapter Two

Pain

I know, not very descriptive but if you were in my state of confusion in that moment, you would probably just describe it as pain too.

Pain. Oh god, the pain.

I woke up on the grass, my head was pounding, my stomach was in knots, and the best part was I couldn't remember how I got here. Actually, I couldn't remember anything. Worried, I shot up from the ground only to fall back down. God, I feel heavy. So much scared me in this moment. I couldn't remember anything, I didn't know where I was or how I got here, and then of course I saw something else that I would have screamed about if I had the strength to.

I wasn't the only person here. From my laying position on the ground, I saw other people struggling to get up only to fall back down like I had. Confusion and worry written on their faces. Boys and girls just laying on the ground, in their night clothes like myself, and we were all probably thinking the same thing.

What are we doing here?

Moments passed, eventually the pain lessened, and I was finally able to sit up. I looked around me to see others were sitting too. Then, bright pixelly lights shined from different directions around us. We all watched as the pixels started connecting in the center of us circle of people. They connected til they made a shape, a human shape. Features started adding to the shape, hair, clothes, a face. He was tall and tan, his hair was a dark brown and he wore a black suit with a red tie. He turned to look at each of us before he finally spoke.

"You are all probably wondering what you're doing here." 

We all nodded in response.

"It's simple, you will all be participating in a test. While taking part in this test, however, you will be living here." He gestured for us to look around."Take in the beauty. This will be your home til the test is completed."

A girl with a bit of confidence and clearly getting over the pain faster than the rest of us, got up catching the attention of the man.

"Please sit down, you are all to weak to be getting up this early." he pushed.

"Aren't you going to explain why I can't remember anything?" she asked, out of breath.

"If you will sit down, I will explain all your questions." he said gesturing to us all.

She sat down and awaited the answer.

"First off my name is Thomas Reid, but I would prefer if you called me Reid. Now, to explain the memory loss i'm going to ask one of my partners to please enter the computer program."

Computer program?

He began pulling a device from his pocket with many different buttons. He pushed one and suddenly the place swarmed with more light pixels that filled the room as they began to form next to him. She had brown hair a few shades lighter than his, she was shorter too. We waited for her to speak.