Chapter Eleven

The Test

Chapter Eleven

It's been a week since the announcement by Reid and Natalie. So, if you count it all together we've been here a little over two weeks. In this fun filled week we've had a number of things happen. Snakes randomly popping up in the shacks, wasps the size of a hand stinging us, and of course the bears did come back. 

They have only come back once, but that one time was worse than the first. This time there were two and they attacked a guy named Caleb. Jack again had to come to the rescue and again somehow killed them both. Doing so has only made him seem even more powerful here. Even though what Jack did, Caleb is still badly injured. The bear tore up his legs and he hasn't walked since the attack, which was five days ago. Jack thinks the wounds might be infected but Caleb won't let anyone near him to find out. And what makes this day oh so wonderful is Caleb's injuries have started a fight.

"I don't want what happened to Caleb to happen to me." A random guy, I think named John, said. He had brown hair and was wearing a shirt with mud on it.

"Yeah, we should have been prepared. They could come back at anytime and what if next time someone dies?" someone I couldn't see shouted.

"And what if we can't die here? What if, since we are in a dream type place, we just stay here and suffer?" John pointed out. Everyone was in panic. More and more questions were being asked and the people just got louder the more scared they got. Jack, Annie, and me stood together, listening as different opinions were being said. When Jack had finally had enough, he spoke.

"Okay, everybody calm down." When they didn't listen, he used other means to quiet them. "Shut up." he shouted. Now that he had their attention, he continued. "Caleb probably wouldn't have gotten hurt in the first place if you guys would have just helped. We came up with a plan to protect everyone but all of you were to freaking lazy to care."

The plan had been simple but probably would've been effective. We set a trap that would have caught the bear with what materials we had. Jack wasn't particularly fond of killing, so he thought this was an okay solution for the time being. The bear would have got caught and maybe injured by the random weapons that would become lodged in it if the trap was set up right. But we never knew, we needed more than just me, Jack, Annie, Luke, and Danny helping set it up. It was a long shot but it might have at least given Caleb some time to get away.

"Listen here, Jack. I don't take orders from you. You're letting this power thing go directly to your head." John said. They were staring each other down, anger plastered on John's face.

"This isn't about power. I don't want this freaking everybody is up my butt constantly crap. You want it, fine, take it, I don't care. What I care about is making sure everyone is safe and maybe if you weren't being such an idiot, that would have happened." Jack replied.

"And who says any of us should listen to you. You aren't any better than the rest of us." Then he turned to the crowd of teens and said, "I say we pick someone to be in charge. That person decides what we should do to protect everyone. And of course do what that person says." John now wore a smile.