Chapter Thirty

The Test

Chapter Thirty

After a week of staying in bed, watching the same movie over and over, and finally getting told I could leave my room, I was happier than ever. Not just because I would get to see Jack but I hate just sitting and doing nothing and it was getting annoying. I was still weak, apparently that's a side effect of being in a coma, not that big of a shocker. But I was still determined to see Jack, and John if you look at the big picture. 

But i've also been able to do some thinking these past few days. It's been mainly about everything I remember. For instance, my favorite color is red, but I like blue a lot too. I am not a fan of shopping and if given the chance, I just might stay in my room forever and avoid social interaction. I hate sand between my toes but still love walks on the beach. If you give me chocolate or pizza or just about any food without telling me that they're fatty, I will love you. And if you leave me alone while reading, I just might kiss you for being kind. I have a fascination with the internet and a strange obsession with fictional characters. And I actually like math. 

The whole reason these memories and habits have been going through my head is because I lost myself for a time. For over a month, I was just part of the test, walking around like everyone else and playing Reid's little game. And now that it's all back, I realize i'm not the same girl anymore. Yes, I still yearn for chocolate regularly and books are my life, not that i've gotten to do much reading since leaving the test, but i've changed too. I went though the test, sacrificed myself for everyone I cared about. I don't know if the Lexi before could have done that, giving her life to save those she loves.

"Come on, i'll walk with you to the cafeteria, Lexi. If we're lucky maybe there will be some cardboard tasting pizza waiting for us." Maddie said in her enthusiastic sarcasm, grabbing my arm and steadying me as I sat up.

"Maybe I should hold onto her, Maddie. You've gotten to excited lately." Nate told her.

"Well, one of my best friends woke up." She explained, flipping her brown hair and letting me go, putting her hands on her hips.

"That's fine to be excited about. But the other day you saw a guy with a cast on his leg and you wouldn't leave him alone, jumping up and down and yelling."

"What? He was cute." She defended herself.

"And what, that was you flirting?" He asked. She was about to speak again but I got in the way.

"Could you two stop, please? I'd like to leave my room now." I said. They both nodded, leading me out the door. The hallway was basically empty besides for a few nurses, dressed in scrubs and walking into different rooms. I heard coughing but Maddie and Nate ignored it, each grabbing one of my hands and pulling me with them toward the cafeteria.

It was small, little tables in different places and a handful of people at each. We spotted my family over in the corner and walked that way. Then, my eyes looked across the room and there he was, well kinda. When I saw him, none of those things you read about happened. Time didn't stop, I felt the same and yes I could still hear whatever subject my family was talking about as we got closer. Nothing changed, but that may have been because the him I saw wasn't Jack but John. And who was with him? Natalie. Or Elody Clark, depending on what she told him.