Chapter Five

The Test

Chapter Five 

We've now been here a week and as much as I hate to say it, the hair brush incident is the biggest action that's happened here. I don't know what I expected. Maybe danger of some sort or some actual trying to survive going on. The materials provided take away having to survive on our own. Seriously, when someone tells you you're taking a test to help save humanity, you would think there would be some sort of struggle, right? But no, looks like humanity rests it's hands in the ability to brush ones hair.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I want something dangerous to happen, I just think it's kind of strange. They put us here only to watch us eat, sleep, talk, and do it all over again the next day. Making the shacks weren't even hard. I mean, there was the problem of no guys wanting to help Jack build them, eventually though, he was able to persuade some more of them and now everyday more shacks are being built. I keep going to the field of vegetables and trees with fruit on them, gathering food and bringing some to those helping build. 

That's what i'm doing now. After grabbing a small basket, I went in the direction of the field. It was a long distance away, which is why most people wait for someone else to go and get food and bring them some back. Seriously, lazy people. But the thing is, they're not that smart either. I go and try to get food for a few days so I won't have to continually go and get food. Others are making countless trips. But I'm still having to make a trip everyday to get food for all those building. I don't mind, they're the ones working hard on this particularly hot day.

It took me fifteen minutes to get there, and in those minutes I saw many different people diving into the lake due to the heat.

Must be nice on such a hot day.

I eventually made it to the food and I started grabbing different vegetables and putting them in the basket. Once that was done, I walked back, going through a cluster of fruit trees. I stopped every now and then and grabbed some apples, pears, and oranges. Once that was done the basket was pretty heavy so I made my way towards the shacks.

The shacks were all in the same area, between the lake and the trees. About seventeen were built already and there were some in the process. 

"Finally, I was wondering when you were going to get here." Luke said coming closer to take the basket from my hands. Danny appeared beside him, slapping his shoulder. They both had blond hair, Luke's a few shades darker. Danny was taller by a few inches though, but for the most part they looked about the same. "Dude, you don't speak like that to a lady. Say thank you." I was about to say it was okay when someone interrupted me.

"It's alright, not like she would ever say thanks if you did something for her." came a voice behind me. Turning around, I came face to face with Jack. "Hey princess, what did you bring us today?"

"Same thing as everyday." I answered, turning back around to see the basket of food had already been surrounded by people, grabbing and going. "Didn't I suggest for you to never call me princess?" Jack stepped in front of me, going towards the basket picking up two apples.

"Actually," he said, coming back to me, "you kinda commanded it and if you command a guy to do anything, they kinda go against it. It's simple logic, actually. Apple?" he asked, holding one of them out to me. I grabbed it and he took a bite from his own. He started walking away and gestured for me to follow.