Chapter Ten

The Test

Chapter Ten

"As much as I hate to say this, now seems like a good time for one of the monkeys that built this place to show up. They could probably tell us what's going on." Jack said, looking at my scars again. "Your cuts are healed and mine haven't done that and you said Luke's didn't either. Doesn't that bother you at least a little bit?"

Once we both had woken up, Jack stayed true to his promise and questioned me about my suddenly healed wounds. I had told him I didn't know why they healed and that I tried telling him that last night but he wouldn't listen. So, I tried changing the subject to his own cut on his arm. So now here I was, cleaning it out and yelling at him every now and then for not being smart enough to do it yesterday. But of course, Jack being the way he is, the conversation went back to me instead of focusing on his unintelligent choices.

"Of course it bothers me. You think I've been enjoying everything that has happened to me in the last few days?" I answered back.

"I know, it's just weird how it's only happening to you. Only you had hands go through you. Only you have healed wounds."

I stared at him, hoping he wasn't putting some puzzle together in his mind. In a way, he has a point, what if it does have something to do with me being able to disrupt? As far as I know i'm the only one who can and i'm the only one that this stuff has been happening to. But I still don't know what being able to disrupt means. I am so confused. Jack was right, this would be a perfectly pleasant time for someone to come in here and explain what was going on.

Jack saw the look on my face and tried to reassure me. "But who knows, right? It could just be a coincidence or something. Maybe that one official helper chick will know what's going on. For all we know it's another glitch to the system or maybe they never fixed the first one. The next time she comes in the test, we should ask her." He said.

He just made another good point. It could still be the glitch or even a new one. Now I had two theories that would be bothering me and maybe both of those are wrong. And who knew how long it would be, if ever, before I found out what the cause of it really was. 

I tried dismissing my thoughts by focusing on cleaning Jack's cut, getting dirt and grass out of it. Eventually, I was finished cleaning his wound so I got up, followed by him doing the same. Before I could even think about walking away, he grabbed my arm.

"Don't think you can get away from me that easily, princess." he said, pulling my arm and dragging me toward the shacks.

"But Jack." I really wasn't in the mood for this right now. It was another one of those times I needed to clear my head, everything was jumbling together and making me confused. 

"No buts. You can either help build the shacks or sit on the ground and watch. Either way, you're staying right here where I can keep an eye on you. With the mess you've gotten into lately I wouldn't be surprised if next you fell into the lake." As he said it, a smile broke across his face.

"I'm a big girl, i'm not going to fall in the lake. And wipe that stupid smirk off your face." I ordered, becoming angry with him.