Chapter Nineteen

The Test

Chapter Nineteen

I was sitting in a room full of desks. Teens were sitting in each one, filling up the room. A man stood up front, pointing towards something on a board. I didn't pay much attention to him, though. I was sitting in the back at the right end of the room, drawing in a notebook. Marcus sat in the front, taking in all the man had to say. A bell rang and everyone exited the room, causing me to follow. I felt a hand grab my arm. Turning around, I saw a different boy, that wasn't Marcus, looking down at me with a face of concern. 

"Are you okay? You don't look so good." He said.

"Leave her alone, Nate. She'll be fine, she's just hungry. Come on, it's time for lunch." A girl said, coming up behind us. They led me to another room where people were sitting around tables, talking and eating. I didn't bother getting food, causing the two teens to give me strange looks and head toward a table in the corner. They talked some, me listening sometimes. Then, Marcus came through the doors, laughing with other teens. I walked up to him. He saw me and put an arm over my shoulder, pulling me in for a hug. For some reason, it felt unusual.

"Why are you hugging me?" I asked, pushing him away.

"Because I can. You haven't talked to me in days. I had to do something, even if it does mean hugging you in school."

"Well, maybe I would have talked to you if you were on my side when Mary came over." I said, the words flowing from my mouth naturally.

"Mary needed someone to be on her side. Come on, you can't be mean to her forever."

"She set me up with her best friend's son. I think I can."

"Who knows, maybe you two will look cute together." He said.

"You did not just say that."

"I did. Now, stop fighting and join me for lunch. Later, we'll talk about getting you ready for your date." I grumbled and sat down. Not long after that, the dream faded out and it all went dark.

❒❒❒❒

I woke up in the shack, taking in the morning air and getting ready to start the day. The dreams have become a regular thing now. I had one the night of the attack. It consisted of me going to visit a man that I could only assume was my dad. The night after that, I met the person I was referring to as Mary in the dream I had last night. I don't understand them most of the time but i've told Jack everything, not wanting to forget the slightest bit. But I still had to tell him about Riley. 

I was up before the rest of my friends. This was a good thing, i've been the only person getting somewhat of a good night sleep since Luke disappeared. My friends sleeping in has been rare. But of course, someone had to wake up anyway.

"You're up early." Caleb said, coming over to help me fold up my blanket.