Chapter Twenty-one

The Test

Chapter Twenty-one

I was picking fruit for breakfast, frustrated with the fact that I haven't had a dream in days. They stopped the night of Natalie's disappearance that may have been caused by Reid. I'm not sure what's going on but I think that has something to do with it. I placed another apple in the basket, seeing that it was full and I could go back to the shack now. Right then, someone walked through the trees, catching my eye. I've been kinda skittish since Natalie's weird warning, making me jump at almost anything. Once I saw who it was, though, I was somewhat relieved.

"John. What are you doing here?" I asked, turning towards him. Seeming to just notice I was there, he turned too.

"Oh, you know, looking for pandas." He said sarcastically, rolling his eyes. "I'm grabbing some fruit for breakfast, Lexi. What else would I be doing?"

"I don't know, murdering one of your helpless victims who realized how horrible you being in charge is. And did you just use my actual name, what happened to freak?"

"I can go back to freak if you prefer."

"No, it's fine. I just found it strange is all." I said, still standing there. There was something I had to say but I wasn't exactly sure how to say it to the same guy who's been treating me like dirt.

"Something you need?" He asked me, referring to the fact that I haven't moved.

"No, um I mean, yes but I." I was stumbling over my words, suddenly nervous about the whole thing. "Just thank you, John. You know, for saving Jack. I don't know what I would have done if he died."

"You thanked me right after I saved him, remember? You didn't have to say it again."

"I know I said it but I just wanted you to know how much it meant to me. Because you may hate me and Jack but i'm just so glad you saved him despite all that." I told him.

"Yeah, no problem." He said. I turned and started walking away at those words. That is, until I heard him speak again. "Everything is okay, right? With Jack, I mean."

"He seems like he's doing fine. I can tell that his leg still hurts a little, he's kinda burned. But if there's is one thing i've learned about him since we got here, it's that he fights through pain. So, I don't know exactly how much pain he's in."

"Well, as long as he's up walking around. I'm glad that what I did actually worked." He said.

"Me too. Just out of curiosity, how did you know to do that? I mean, we do have basic information in here but I don't think making someone's heart beat again counts as basic."

"It just came to me. He was there and then I suddenly knew how to save him. It came on just like the urge to want to save him did, it just kinda appeared out of nowhere I guess." 

"Yeah, well, i'm going to head back to the shack. Bye, John." I said, walking away again.