Chapter Six

The Test

Chapter Six

I heard a faint sound, it was getting louder as my hearing became more responsive. Getting louder and louder and louder.......

"......not okay. Look at her. She fainted for crying out loud, after, I must point out again, Luke's and my hand went right through her. Now you're saying it was some freaking glitch in this dang test. And what in the heck is that thing on her arm?" I couldn't tell who it was but they sounded angry. No, furious. 

Wait, no. Did he just say Luke's and my hand? Was Jack the one that was so furious?

"Please, calm down. We're working on fixing the problem." a female voice ensured. What was going on? I needed to see.

I opened my eyes. The sun shone in them instantly, causing me to close them again. I decided to move so I wouldn't be in a direct view of that light. Rolling over, I was now facing the ground. I opened my eyes again and then used my arms to push myself up from the grass. Doing so, I caught the attention of the woman, causing her to come my way. Looking up to face her, I knew who she was. Natalie Daniels, if I remember correctly. Jack followed behind her, his previous anger washed away by relief.

"You're awake." He bent down to help me sit up. When his hand touched my arm, reassurance ran through me. Thank god, it didn't go through. Then, I noticed something else. On my left arm, in the place where their hands and my arm collided, were pixels. Skin colored squares crammed into each other, meshing to create a big pixelly smudge.

"What is this?" I asked, both intrigued and worried.

"That's what i've been trying to find out." Jack replied, eyeing the mark.

"Well, now that Lexi is awake, how about I explain?" Said Natalie from behind me. I turned to see her looking at me, waiting for an answer.

"Well, like i've been saying, I would like to know." Jack said standing up, reaching his hand out to help me.

"Oh, not you, Jack. This is something I would like to just discuss with Lexi. Alone." She said, turning to him.

"Are you kidding me? What, you can't tell me or something?"

Ignoring his comment, she turned back to me. "Follow me, Lexi." She started walking off.

I turned to Jack. Seeing that he clearly wanted to know, I said, "I'll tell you later, okay?" He was about to protest but instead nodded. I shot him a quick smile before turning and going with Natalie.  

She wasn't far ahead, probably waiting on me to join her. I made it to her and she started walking again. "So, what is this thing on my wr-" She brought her hand up, gesturing for me to stop. "Not yet." She said simply. I obeyed and kept following her. We walked past people who sent stares our way, making me feel uncomfortable. Still walking, we went through the mess of trees I went through that first day, bringing us out to the open field everyone first woke up in. She sat down in the grass and patted the spot beside her, wanting me to join her. Hesitantly, I planted myself down, waiting for her to speak.