Chapter 30

Dhayapur station was dark and empty. In a distance I could see one lamp post light with a dim yellow light that gave enough light for the security guard to read the newspaper. As soon as the train came to a stance, the guard yelled out to some boys to help us carry out bags out from the carriage.

We were all very tired and had minimal energy left in us, so we kindly allowed the helpers to take our bags out. As we lazily got out the train, I saw my brother Veer jogging towards. He came and gave me a big hug, before his eyes landed on the boys and he let me go.

"Welcome back, hope the trip safe", He spoke with a very strict tone. 

"The trip was fine. We all are just a bit tired. Where's everyone else?", I looked behind him waiting for my parents to come and hug me but they weren't there.

"They are all waiting for you at home. It was pretty late so I just came".

"Where's Manju? She didn't come with you?", I was sad. I was expecting my whole family at the station waiting to welcome me.

"Manju is at home resting, she wasn't feeling her best today?".

"Oh no! Is she sick?", I questioned worried.

"No Simi, you worry too much. Let's go home and we'll tell you the good news",  Veer put his hands on my shoulder and pushed me towards the car. Two taxis waited for us outside. Jai and Sammi put our bags in the boot and Veer quietly helped them. Then he called out to us girls to get in the Taxi.

As we entered the drive way to my house, I was surprised to see my family had already began to decorate the house with festive lights. They had even put garden lights and now even in the darkness, we could still see our beautiful backyard and my favourite swing.

I was the first to get out the car and run towards the entrance door. I stood in front of the door for a few seconds, took a heavy breath and opened the door wide with excitement. Everyone was gathered around the living room eagerly waiting for us.

"Papa Ji, Mummy Ji!", I quickly ran and gave them a hug and saw Sharon follow me and touched Dahda Ji and Dadhi's feet for blessing. 

We were finally home. 

After I had greeted everyone I turned around and saw my friends were still standing at the door, they all looked a bit taken back. They hadn't seen this many family members living under one roof before. 

"Oh! Family meet my friends, I mean our friends", I looked at Sharon.

The guys came inside and tried their best to put a happy smile.

"This is Radz, Jai, Sammi and Rey". I walked towards them and motioned them to step forward. Rey took the lead and touched Dahda Ji and Dadhi's feet. He then went to my father who stopped him half way. My father put his hand forward for a warm handshake. The rest of my family members welcomed everyone with a warm heart. 

Amongst the chitter chatter, my mum excused herself and requested everyone to head towards the dinner table as the food was ready. In just a blink of an eye, I found myself being left out as my family seemed to get along a lot better than I had imagined with my friends.

Veer and Sammi looked like they had known each other for a long time. Radz and Disha already knew each other and so together they chatted about Radz's knew desi outfits while Jai pretended he was very much interested in that topic. Jigar and Rey were busy discussing business with my father and Sharon was busy helping my mum pass the food around the table. This didn't seem bad at all. I was scared the atmosphere would be awkward but these guys seem to enlighten the mood and everyone was having a great time.