Chapter 38

"I'm sorry aunty, I don't understand what you mean?", I was nervously seated on the couch scared to meet eyes with Rey's mother. She was standing right in front of me with her arms crossed, her expression were nothing more than just pure evil. 

"Ofcourse you wouldn't understand what I'm trying to say. You're just a plain simple girl from the village, trying to settle in Mumbai and what better choice than finding a rich man to trap him in your fake emotionless love and lure him to marry you. That's the best way to make a living in this big city". Every word she spoke went through my ears like venom. She was unbelivable!

"Excuse me!" I furisously stood up to meet her level. "I'm well aware that you hate me for some stupid reason but there is no need to call me fake or even my love for Rey fake. For you information I was willing to marry Rey only because my parents thought our relationship should be binded by marriage so no one points fingers at us or looks down upon us. I however was not really liking the idea of marriage but it's you son that threw the surprise engagement party!", I was panting and trying to catch my breath as I spoke to her without showing any fear. I was in no position to sit here and take in whatever she says to me. 

Suddenly this whole situation was blamed all on Rey. It hurts to make him be the cause of this but how else was I going to justify myself and protect my image?

"How dare you blame my son! He is just trapped in your fake love for him. I know better than anyone that all this is just an act. My son is just too hopeless and innocent that he hasn't yet seen your true colours". She clearly doesn't understand her son that well. Rey isn't someone who can be played around with, how can she say that?

"I'm sorry aunty but I can't talk about this further. I need to speak to Rey". I walked past her and she quickly grabbed my arms and pulled me back.

"You are not saying a single word to Rey. I need you to pack your bags and get away from Rey. Go back to your poor village and I'll explain to Rey you have broken off this engagement on your own will".

"You can't make me leave. I'm not breaking this marriage, instead I'm letting Rey know what kind of a mother he has. He trusts you, loves you and protrays you as the best woman in his life and this is what your doing to him! Let me Go!", I tried to break free but wasn't strong enough. 

Suddenly the door opened and Sanam entered the room looking shocked. 

"What's going on mom?"

"Nothing, I was just having a little mother and daughter talk with my new daughter-in-law". Mother and daughter - you hate me woman!

I was silent as I figured this was my chance to run away from her grip. I slowly slid my arm and walked past Sanam. Tears were rolling down my cheeks and I couldn't stop my crying. I went outside and found a seat in the garden.

The night breeze was wonderful outside but my emotions were too busy feeling betrayed and my feelings were hurt. I wanted to talk to someone about this but I wasn't sure who I could trust anymore. Obvisously Rey's mother probably has some of his friends as undercover spy and anything I say to them gets reported straight to her. 

After about countless weeping and crying, I was finally able to bring myself to a state where I could think properly. I needed to talk to Sammi, the only person who knows about this. I spent along time thinking of people I can get help from and I kept going around in circles. Sammi was the only one.

A few mimutes later, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and saw Sammi, Sharon and Disha had come looking for me.

"What's wrong Simi?", Disha quickly came and sat next to me, wiping off my tears which I thought had stopped falling.