v. Introductions

Elsa

When I woke up, all I could think about was Kristoff. Years of relying on my sense to tell me when something was up had me feeling like something wasn't right. He was supposed to be home today, I reminded myself. That's all it was, just nonsensical anxiety. I hoped, anyway. I got dressed and was pulling on my shoes when Kai knocked at the door.

"Time for breakfast, m'lady." He spoke, almost nervously. Kai had always been my father's favorite and most trusted advisor, and he had since become mine as well. He was a very good listener.

"Thank you, Kai, I'll be right down." I answered, walking to the door and opening it. Kai was still in the hallway, and he grinned when he saw me. "What?" I asked, chuckling.

"You've just grown up so beautifully. Your parents would be so proud of you, you know." He told me, his voice warm with caring. He was like a father figure to me, and I was glad there was someone left to do that.

"Well, that's all I've ever wanted." I admitted, looking at my feet. I had always wondered if my parents wished I was normal, or if they had regretted me being born this way. I wondered if things would have been different if my parents were still around. I wondered what my life would have been like if I was normal.

"They were always proud of you, you know. Your father," Kai chuckled and shook his head. "He never stopped talking about how lovely his girls were. He would have done anything for you." His eyes sparkled in memory and my heart hurt to think about it.

"I know... I just wish-" I stopped myself as something flashed by the window. I rushed over to the warm glass, peering out it in curiosity. Then, it flashed by again. It seemed crazy, but it looked almost like a person. I gasped.

"Something wrong, Elsa?" Flynn asked from behind me. Regaining my composure, I turned to him.

"No, no, everything is fine. Shall we head to breakfast?" I asked him, and he gave me a crooked smile.

"You don't have to act 'royal' in front of me. I was a thief before I married Rapunzel." He admitted.

"A thief?" I asked, incredulous.

"Yeah... I actually stole her crown before either of us knew she was the lost princess. Kind of a hilarious 'How We Met' story, really." He laughed. His laugh was warm and infectious, and I found myself laughing too. It felt good to let my guard down a little. Finally, we made it to breakfast. Anna's hair was braiding intricately, flowers weaved between the strands, and she was laughing about something with Rapunzel. They sure made friends quickly... Anna was very easily attached, it seemed. Maybe that was my fault... I shook the thought away, sitting down as Flynn pulled a chair out for me. It was an incredibly chivalrous gesture. 

"Thank you." I told him, meaning it. I sighed as breakfast was served and Anna chattered excitedly about the wedding. It was great that Anna had a friend and a fiance, but I selfishly wondered when it would be my turn. When would my life start falling into place? I wanted the kids and the husband and the happiness, too. Controlling my powers wasn't enough to make me forget everything I had wanted before. Normalcy wasn't quite as easy as I had anticipated. When we finished breakfast, I headed out to the courtyard to clear my head and just have some fresh air to myself. I shot flurries into the air, melting before the could reach me again. I remembered that night on the mountain, how great it felt to finally realize the full potential of my powers. Often, I missed my ice castle. I knew it was silly but I loved the idea of something that was completely mine. Just then, I noticed something very strange. The very same window I had peered out this morning had snow on it's ledge. I hadn't put it there, and it didn't snow in August. Especially not in one spot on a window ledge. Hm...