xxv. Dream With Me

Elsa

After talking to Anna, Jack and I returned to my room. He went straight to the bed, acting completely at ease in the small bedroom. Even though I had only known him for a few weeks, I felt like Jack was the person I knew the best in the whole world. He seemed so comfortable here, so natural, that I felt like I was intruding. I was happy to see him that way, so inexplicably pleased with his ease of living here. I irrationally hoped he would want to stay here permanently, stay with me permanently. I knew it was unfair of me to want him to give up his life and his friends just for me, and I knew he wouldn't do it. Who in their right mind would? If only there were some way for both of us to have our lives without messing up the others. Not that he was messing up my life, but I couldn't very well join him as a Guardian and he couldn't just stay here forever and ignore his duties. It was a conundrum, to say the least.

"So, did you miss me?" He asked, smiling that rambunctious smile of his. I couldn't help the grin that appeared on my face. I walked over to the bed, a sudden burst of confidence causing me to straddle his lap and push him down onto the bed. He seemed shocked at the act, body tensing and then relaxing as he realized what was happening. He smirked at me, his blue eyes twinkling as he puckered his lips and leaned up to meet mine. As usual, there was an explosion of butterflies and figurative fireworks, causing me to almost yelp in glee. I loved him so much.

"A little." I breathed, pressing a light kiss to his lips before rolling off of him and laying next to him. My stomach fluttered from the kiss, a feeling I wasn't used to and hoped would never go away. I loved kissing Jack, and being with Jack, and Jack in general. He was The One, I thought. Jack Frost and Elsa Andersen were meant to be. It was like the childhood love I had been deprived of; the notebooks filled with doodles of "E+J=<3" and colorful bubble letters spelling out "Mrs. Elsa Frost". Elsa Frost... It had a ring to it, I thought. Trying not to blush, I pushed the thought away.

"Weren't we in the middle of something before I left?" Jack asked, giving me a look that I could read clearer than the words he spoke. I almost laughed out loud. Just because he was back and I wasn't ignoring him anymore didn't mean I was ready to be back to normal again! I was still in love with him and I was still beyond glad that he was back and unhurt, but he had been a total jerk to me and he deserved to at least know how awful it had made me feel. He needed to feel as guilty as I had felt hurt. That was the give and take of a relationship, wasn't it? Were Jack and I in a relationship? I wondered. We had never defined anything, but did we need to? Neither of us had much experience with these things. I turned my thoughts back to Jack and my rapidly fading anger at the adorably shocked boy in front of me.

"I don't recall.. But I'm tired. Night, Jack." I spoke, turning out the light and crawling under my covers. To my surprise and delight, Jack didn't leave to go into his own guest bedroom. Instead, he pulled the covers back and cuddled up next to me, wrapping his lanky arm around my body and pulling me close. Our mutually cold bodies seemed to cause warmth, the heat of it flowing through me and making me smile like an idiot. I had never had sleepovers as a child, either, and laying in the same bed as another person was a shock to me. It seemed cramped but magical at the same time, some kind of exciting adventure that only the two of us were on. I felt ridiculously childish as I wiggled my toes in pure happiness. 

"I'm really sorry," He whispered into my hair, pressing a kiss to the edge of my forehead.

"I know. I love you." I replied, pressing closer to him. It seemed crazy, but I never wanted to be apart from him.

"I love you, too," He whispered back, squeezing me tightly as I drifted off into the best sleep I can ever remember having.

Jack

Elsa was still angry, I knew. I couldn't think of anything to do that would make it up to her, besides being myself and just waiting for her to cool down, if you'll excuse the pun. It hurt to not be able to kiss her freely, but I knew she would come around. Elsa was the type to give in sooner rather than later. I was hoping it would be very soon, because even though we barely knew each other I wanted things to become official between the two of us. Being able to call her my girlfriend was something I desperately wanted, along with somehow getting her into the Guardians. I didn't know if it was possible, it had surely never been attempted before, but I still felt a little like the Man in the Moon owed me, after letting me go 3 hundred years alone and invisible. Yeah, I'm a bit of a grudge holder.

Sleeping with Elsa in her bed was something I had never thought I would do, but feeling her warmth pressed up against me as we both slept in happy comfort was now my favorite thing. Matching my breathing to hers and listening to her mumble along with her dreams was something I wanted. I wanted Elsa for eternity, and then another, and then another. I wanted to know every little detail about her; the songs that she sang in the shower, how old she was when she learned to ride a bike, her favorite author, her secret wishes for things she would never acquire, everything. I wanted to live out my life with her, but I didn't see how that was possible if I was the only immortal one in the relationship. I couldn't handle watching her grow old and die while I stayed seventeen forever. I wanted her to have what I did, but I had no idea how to get it.

She woke up at around nine, rolling over to face me. Her hair was a little wild, the brightness of the sun refracting off the glowing white strands and back lighting her lovely face. Her eyes were foggy, her voice slightly thick as she spoke.

"I like sleeping with you," She mumbled, still half asleep. She was vaguely childlike in that moment, her true innocence coming out. She looked much younger like this, without the constant responsibility and stress of being a queen, sister and mother figure. She was a different Elsa when it was jsut the two of us, and I desperately wished that was the Elsa everyone got to see. I certainly thought it was the best Elsa.

The fact that she had said what I had been thinking for hours made me smile. I was glad she liked sleeping with me, glad she liked holding my hand and kissing me and being around me in general. I was so happy to even be here with her, but I was selfish and wanted more of everything. More of her, more years with her, more trust from her... I was still a seventeen year old, deep down at heart, and I wasn't ashamed to admit it. After all, I was the Guardian of Fun.