XIII. Home Sweet Home

SubTerra was everything it was cracked up to be and then some. The food was better prepared and tastier than it was at home, and the space was more ample. Even the citizens were friendlier; without the constant gnawing fear of humans they could relax and be merry. Jacques and Turner came to the same conclusion at pretty much the same time. They wanted to become permanent citizens.

      "I think I speak for our entire community," Jacques explained to Chandra. "When I say that this is the place we never knew we needed."

      "I'm glad you like it," Chandra offered a smile.

      "The only question I have is this: when can we move in?"

      "If that's your group's decision..."

      "It is."

     "Then I'm sure we can find a way to permanently accommodate you guys."

      Turner cleared his throat, forcing the leader of SubTerra to focus on him. "That's very kind of you," he began. "But there is something else we need to talk about."

      "And what's that?"

      "We have an entire community counting on us to get back to them. We can't just ditch them for a new group. Without us, the place will probably fall apart. Jacques was their leader, after all."

      Chandra smiled again. "I see; Turner was it? You want to move in the rest of your parvs."

      "Yes, ma'am."

      "How many do you have?"

      "About 50," Jacques said.

      Chandra did some calculations in her head. "I think we can do that," she finally said. "It might be tight for a little while, but we'll survive."

      Jacques held his hand out, which Chandra eagerly shook. "I want to thank you," he said.

      "It's no trouble. After all, that's why we built this place. So parvs from all walks of life can come here and not have to worry about the humans up above."

      "Humans," Jacques muttered. "It really is a shame that we have to be driven underground like this."

      "It is what it is," Chandra said. "Nothing we can do about it, so we might as well just live our lives the best we can."

      A dark shadow passed over Jacques face for a moment, but soon his normal expression returned. "We should make an expedition back home to collect our group."

      "I couldn't agree more," Miller said unexpectedly from behind them, drinking his second cup of SubTerran ale. "I volunteer Turner to lead the charge!"

     "No," Jacques said. "That's my group, and they need to see my face; they need to know I'm alright."

     Miller shook his head violently. "Out of the question," he slurred. "We just risked our lives to get you to safety. We're not going to parade you back out amongst the giants."

      "I agree with Miller," Turner said, chuckling at his friend's inebriation. "Despite his current state."

      "But they trust me back at home," Jacques insisted.

      "They trust me too. Enough to sign off on that whole crazy rescue operation. They'll follow me if they know it's to a better place. And especially if they know you're waiting for them here."

      "I'm going," Chandra spoke up.

      "What? Why?" Turner asked.

      "I haven't been up to the top in a long time," she said. "I want to see the sun at least once more. These oil lamps we have here just don't cut it for me. Not to mention the fact that a leader needs to do more than crunch numbers every now and then."

      "We're probably a day or two away. Are you sure this place will be alright in your absence?"

      "Hagen can take care of things for a little bit. And let's not forget Jacques is here now." Chandra laughed. "This place isn't hurting for leaders right now."

      "Then it's settled!" Miller said and took a big celebratory swig of alcohol. "Let's go!"

      "Tomorrow," Chandra said, and snatched the cup from his hands. "We'll get some of my guys and some of your guys and leave first thing in the morning."

      "Sounds like a plan!" Miller shouted and passed out onto the ground.