XVII: The Lost

"How much farther is it?" Carlisle complained from the back of the spider. "I haven't eaten in almost a day, and I'm not sure how good I'll be if we run into trouble."

     Morse smiled. "It's not far, my friend," he said. "Not far at all."

     "So, what's this place like?"

     "Our village? It is a group of peace and prosperity. We are one with nature, and that is because we have forgone all that we once held dear on this planet. No family, no friends, no previous life whatsoever. Then, and only then, were we able to achieve inner satisfaction. Only then were we truly a part of this dangerous world."

     Carlisle nodded along like he understood, but of course he didn't. All he heard was a load of hot air from a crazy parv. But none of that mattered if he could get some food and shelter for a few days. Maybe then he would be able to find a way back home.

     "What kind of people decide to join you?"

     "Those with no hope, no spiritual place in this world. Those that are truly without direction."

     "The lost?" Carlisle asked with a smirk.

     Morse nodded. "The Lost."

     They rode in silence for a few minutes before Carlisle had one more question: "What's your leader like?"

     "Strong. Tenacious. Fearsome in his wisdom."

     "Neat."

     They went a little farther past grass, trees, and flowers. The sights were certainly interesting, but Carlisle was more interested in food than scenery. Finally, Morse guided the spider toward a sun-drenched clearing in the field. Two blades of grass formed a natural arch for the entrance of the village of the Lost.

     The various parvs sitting around watched as Carlisle was led through the arch. A few whispered something to their neighbor, but most of them only offered blank stares. Morse chuckled. "We don't get a lot of new faces in here," he said. "You are the most interesting thing we've seen all week."

     "I'm flattered," Carlisle said disinterestedly.

     Morse kept trekking up the main path that ran through the center of the village. It stretched on and on until they came to the edge of a forest. Seated on a mushroom was a wild looking man with blood red eyes and pure white skin. In his hand he clutched a small stick with a rounded edge. Carlisle could tell in an instant that this was the leader.

     "Morse," the white parv said in a deep, booming voice. "What curious finding have you brought before me?"

     "He was lost, good sir, and now he is found," Morse said with a bow.

     "What is your name, my son?"

     Carlisle hopped off of the spider and stepped forward. His legs were weak and shaking but he refused to let it show. "My name is Carlisle," he said plainly. "I ended up... off-course during a hunting expedition."

     "Hmm... Carlisle..." the leader chewed the name up and studied it, trying to ascertain its flavor. "Welcome, Carlisle," he finally said. "I am Petar. I am the ruler of all that you see before you. I am one with nature, and maybe even the planet itself."

     Carlisle scoffed, something that Petar had never encountered before, apparently. His beady red eyes narrowed on the newcomer. Morse quickly interjected. "Trust me, good sir; he is excited to be here. He faced death when I found him, so he is still recovering from the shock."

     Petar looked Carlisle over closely, then let out a long bellowing laugh. Morse's jaw dropped and villagers craned their necks to see what their leader found so funny. "I like you," Petar said when he was done. "You've got guts, son. Morse, fill this lad's stomach up and get him a nice place to stay. In the morning I shall personally train him to be the newest member of our group."

     Morse smiled and led Carlisle away. He wasn't really sure if this was the place he wanted to be, but all he could do for now was play along and see where it took him. Who knows, maybe he would end up liking it here. Maybe.