XLV. On the Run

"This is it," Asa said as they came to the hatch. "Let me take a peek, make sure the coast is clear." She opened the hatch and looked around. There was nothing but daylight for as far as she could see. "We're clear. Let's go!" She and Edison hopped out of the tunnel and into the warmth of the sun.

     "Well, here we are," he said as his eyes adjusted to the brightness. "Are you sure you don't want to go back?"

      Asa kissed him on the lips. "Never. We're doing this together."

      The two walked in the wide open field, hand in hand. "So, where do we start?" Edison asked.

      "The forest seems as good a place as any. There won't be any humans hunting for us in there, and most parvs are afraid of the wildlife. We'll be on our own."

      "Are you sure? Carlisle's band ran into the forest."

      "Oh, them. Wow, I almost forgot all about those guys."

      "Actually, I would rather run into them than Jacques. We might have a better chance with Carlisle."

      Asa scoffed. "I don't know, he seemed just as crazy." She walked forward, keeping a weathered eye to the ground. "If I see any marks or tracks, I'll let you know. Right now, it seems we're all alone."

      "Good, then I could use a rest." Edison sat down on the nearest stone and looked up at the sky. Moments later, Asa joined him. He wrapped his arm around her and drew her close. "I've had a pretty miserable couple of weeks," he said. "The worst of my life. But with you here, it doesn't seem so bad anymore."

      "I'm just glad I saw you when I did. I would have been heartbroken if you had gone on your own and left me by myself."

      "You do realize the danger you face by being with me? I mean, you do understand the danger I put you in constantly?"

      "I know," she nuzzled on his neck. "It's funny, I never feel in danger when I'm around you."

      "You can still back out if you want. I won't mind. Really."

      "Stop that," she laughed and gave him a punch on the arm. "I'm here whether you like it or not, you big goof."

      "Hey, not so hard," Edison joked. "You draw blood, and it's all over."

      "Touching, guys, touching," a voice came out of nowhere. "You lovebirds make my heart positively sing!"

      "Who said that?" Asa jumped to her feet. "Who's there?"

      Hagen stepped out of the shadows, a pin in his hands, raised to the ready. "Hey, guys. Did you miss me?"

      "What are you doing here?" Edison spat. "We don't want anything to do with you!"

      "So, he does speak," the sinister parv laughed. "This whole situation just keeps getting more and more interesting."

      Edison stepped in front of Asa, shielding her from Jacques' crony. "I don't know what your plan is, but we've left SubTerra. Both of us. If you're trying to bring her back, you'll have to go through me."

      "Nonsense, I don't want to bring her back. I want you!"

      "Me?"

      "Yes, the biological weapon. Jacques has been pretty down on me lately, but once I explain to him just how important you are... well, let's just say I'll be back in his good graces once again."

      "You'd be willing to risk the death of our species just to make your boss happy? That's insane!"

      "Oh, don't worry, my friend. It's not our species that is in danger. If what you have been saying is correct, you could be used against the humans. We may actually be able to win our freedom. Think about it; with those oafs gone, the parvs will rule this world."

      "I'm not letting anybody die."

      "Not even your precious girlfriend?"

      "What are you talking about?"

      Hagen smiled a wicked smile. "Well, it's simple. If you don't come willingly, then I'll have to bring harm onto the one you seem to care about."

      "Over my dead body!" Edison bolted forward with his grappling hook, but Hagen easily disarmed him. He held the pin up to the blue-haired parvs throat with a murderous gleam in his eyes.

      "Stop!" Asa said. "We'll go; just don't hurt him!"

      Hagen looked her over thoughtfully, then sheathed his pin. "Asa, tie your lover up. Then I'll tie you. And together we'll go back to SubTerra. Heck, we might even get there before Jacques leaves for his next mission."

      "I'm so excited," Edison said flatly.

      When Asa was done tying her lover with his own twine, she turned toward Hagen with her hands together. "Okay, my turn," she said with tears in her eyes.

      "Sure thing, doll," he said and slid his pin out and stabbed her through the heart. Asa fell backwards, dead before she hit the ground.

      "Hagen!" Edison charged forward. "You're a dead man!"

      "Hey, we can't have loose ends, can we? Now move it, or I will have to drag you by your silly blue hair."

      Unable to act, Edison was forced forward, back through the hatch he had just left, and once again on his way to SubTerra.