XXIX. A Clear Path to Victory

The tube was almost complete. Jacques felt a little flutter in his stomach. This was actually happening. This was it. Soon, this lower order of species would rise up against their oppressors. And it wasn't going to stop at this crummy fast-food restaurant. Parvs across the nation would be inspired by this story of heroism and would also take on the rallying call of revolution. It would finally be their moment.

      It would finally be their time.

      "So, this is really happening, huh?" Jean asked from behind him.

      "What else did you expect?" Jacques laughed. "Your big brother knows how to get things done."

      "Is it going to be safe?"

      "If we get this tube finished in time, and if your launcher works like it's supposed to, then we should be in no danger."

     "What about the attack group?"

      A shadow passed over Jacques' face. "They knew the risks going in. Every revolution begins with casualties. I did order them to retreat if things get too rough, though."

      "I saw that Turner was taken away. What was that about?"

     "We had a little disagreement. He doesn't believe in the power of freedom, and I do. I can't allow that negativity to seep into the rest of the community."

      Jean hesitated, trying to find the right words. "Did you... kill him?"

      "Of course not; I merely sequestered him until we were done."

      Jean smiled, and left it at that. Meanwhile, far behind the podium, Captain Hagen was having a grand time pounding on Turner with his fists. "I'm going to kill you," he informed the wounded parv with a smile. "Jacques' orders. But before I do, I was asked to find out who else is in your little party. Chandra and Scarlet we know. As well as Edison. But you said that you talked to a few others. Who else is working with you?"

      Turner was a wounded ball of pain. He was bleeding from the nose and mouth, his eyes were black and blue, and his cheeks were purple from the constant assault. But through all that, he forced a laugh. "You think I would tell you that?" he spat blood onto the ground. "You must be dumber than you look."

      Hagen punched Turner in his side, where his stab wound was located. "You're going to tell me. One way or another, you will talk."

      There were stars in Turner's eyes. He almost passed out from the pain rushing up his ribs. "If you're going to kill me," he wheezed. "You might as well just get it over with."

      "Oh, I'll kill you, don't worry about that." Another punch. "But I need to know everything first. If you're worried about your friends, don't be. We won't murder them. You're the leader of the cause, you said so yourself. When you're gone they'll fall in line. And if they don't, then they will simply be exiled from SubTerra." A kick to the ribs. "You don't get that luxury, though. Traitors don't deserve amnesty."

      "I hope you remember that when Chandra comes for you."

      Hagen lost all control, and started wailing on his helpless victim. Turner accepted it, knowing full well that today was the day he was going to die. The lights started to dim for him as the pain intensified. Suddenly a voice stopped the whole thing.

      "What's going on?" Jean called from behind.

      Hagen took a second to compose himself. "This guy committed treason," he said. "He was going to try and save the Prime Minister. And worst of all, he had a whole group of parvs ready to help him, too."

      "Is that a fact, Turner? Are you really against Jacques on this one?"

      "What do you think?" he laughed.

      "You want to lend a hand?" Hagen asked. "He's tougher than he looks."

      "I have a better idea," Jean said, and pulled his grappling hook out. "Let's put an end to this."

      Hagan smiled. "Do you want to do the honors?"

      "Sure, hold him still."

      The SubTerran wrapped his arms around Turner from behind, and held him tightly. "Make it slow and painful," he grinned.

      Jean walked forward, playing with the metal hook in his hand. In one quick motion, he spun it around and landed the blunt end of it across Hagen's head. Dazed, the captain went down, and Jean hit him again, knocking him unconscious.

      Turner was beside himself. "What's going on?" he asked.

      "I'm rescuing you."

      "What?"

      "You seem disappointed."

      "No, it's just... why?"

      "Because I thought about what you said the other day. And yeah, after seeing what happened to you, I can't help but agree that this has gone too far."

      "Thanks... do you think we can stop him?"

      "It's going to be tough, but I know we have to try."

      The two parvs left Hagen on the ground, and rushed back toward the podium, hoping to stop the madness before it was too late.