XLI. Prisoners of The Lost

Turner paced around the makeshift cell. He and Chandra had been stuck in there for days, and nobody had come by except for the occasional guard bringing food. It was frustrating after all they'd been through to end up as prisoners.

      "When I see Carlisle, I'm going to kill him," Turner informed Chandra. "I don't care what they do to me. He's the reason I'm so tired all the time. This hole in my side still hasn't healed properly. It probably never will. So, I'm going to wrap my hands around his scrawny neck and squeeze until there is nothing left."

      "You do realize that kind of talk won't get you out of here," the guard said from just outside the cell.

      "Yeah, I know," Turner replied testily. "I just don't want you to be surprised when I kill your leader."

      "You have to let us out of here," Chandra pleaded. "Your boss, he... he doesn't know what he's doing. He tried to kill us for no reason."

      "Oh, he had his reasons," the guard said. "He told us all about them."

      "I'm going to kill him!" Turner fumed. "I'm going to kill him!"

      Seconds later, an entourage of parvs advanced toward the prison. At the center was Carlisle, dressed head to toe in silk clothing. When he approached the cell, he waved the others off. "I won't be needing you guys," he said. "This is an old friend of mine."

      "I wouldn't be so sure of that," the guard said.

      "Turner, Turner, Turner," the General smiled. "How are you, buddy?"

      The enraged parv tried to force himself out of the bars made of sticks. He might have made it, too, if the other members of the Lost hadn't stepped into the prison to restrain him. "I'm going to kill you!" Turner spat.

      "What? Why? That little scratch on the side of your body? You're okay, aren't you? No harm, no foul."

      "You tried to murder me!"

      "No, Turner." Carlisle stood face to face with his accuser. "I merely tried to stop you."

      "Stop me from what?"

      "From killing Antony."

      Chandra laughed. "Then you backed the wrong horse. Antony is dead."

      "I figured."

      "We tried to stop that!"

      Carlisle turned his back on his prisoners. "Do you really expect me to believe that? You've been loyal to Jacques all your life. Then I find you in the middle of his army on the way to assassinate a human. Sorry if I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt on this one."

      "It's true," Turner said, his rage subsiding a bit. "We tried to stop Jacques. Chandra, Scarlet, Edison and me."

      "Only four of you?"

      "Now you know why we weren't so vocal about our opposition."

      "What happened?" Carlisle asked.

      "They found us out. That's why my face is covered in bruises and cuts."

      "You know, I was wondering about that."

      "You have to believe us," Chandra pleaded. "Jacques has a crazy idea about revolution. He's not going to stop at just Antony. He's going to keep killing more and more humans. We have to stop him."

      "I agree," Carlisle nodded. "That's why I'm here, trying to raise an army."

      Chandra and Turner exchanged looks. "If you're trying to stop Jacques, then why are you holding us prisoner?" he asked.

      "Oh, come on, Turner. Ask yourself how you would react in my position. The two of you leave Jacque's and head right for me? Heck, for all I know you both could be spies."

      "This is rich," Chandra said. "We fight so hard to get away from Jacques and it's all for nothing."

      "Hold on, little lady," Carlisle smiled. "I haven't made my decision yet. You said that there were others in your subterfuge party. What happened to them?"

      "Scarlet is dead," Turner said. "Edison is still with them. He might be alive, he might not be."

      The leader thought long and hard. This was going to be his first major decision as leader of the Lost. Finally he sighed. "Release them," he told his guards. "Let them sit at our table and eat our food. Give them a place to stay. We're going to keep our eye on the both of you, but if you are telling the truth then we're going to need you. Jacques has to be stopped before this goes too much further. Prepare yourselves over the next few days. We are going to war."