LVIII. The March of War

This was Jacques' crowning achievement. He was going to put an end to the humans once and for all, and he did it with his entire community behind him. It was hard to believe that not so long ago he was a test subject for a horrible experiment. Part of him worried that he was going to wake up and still be in that glass tank.

      That glass tank! Jacques' anger rose at the memory. That was the most horrible experience of my life. To watch my group, my friends, being tortured and killed like that. He shook his head, his breath coming in and out through his nostrils in faster and faster bursts. I've never cursed my size in my entire life. The way I used to see it, the sky is just as big to us as it is to them. But being there, being manhandled by those giants. Never in my life have I felt so weak. And that's a feeling that I never want to have again.

      "A feeling that none of us should ever have again," he muttered to himself.

      "Did- did you say something?" Meghan asked from behind him.

      Jacques turned to her and quickly smiled. "Not at all. Just thinking out loud I guess."

      "Oh."

      I can't let my thoughts get carried away like that, he thought. They may start to think that their leader is unhinged. And who wants to follow an unhinged parv? He stole a glance backwards. They're still there, he assured himself. And they always will be.

      The familiar sight of a hatch just up ahead caught Jacques' attention. Almost to the surface. Then it would only be a few hours before they were at the hospital. "It won't be long now," he whispered to Edison, who was marching alongside of him in hand restraints.

      "Someone will catch you," Edison said, struggling against the twine. "There is no way a place like a hospital won't see this huge group of parvs."

      "They won't see us," Jacques smiled. "Because it's only going to be a few of us going in. Me, you, and maybe a few of the boys back there. That's it."

      "Then that's when I'll make my escape."

      "You hear that boys?" Jacques asked the soldiers marching behind Edison. "He thinks he's going to escape from you." A dimwitted chuckle rose from the back. "Yeah, I don't think you're going anywhere," he spat at his captive.

      They were right underneath the hatch now, so he turned to face the crowd. A lot of glum-looking faces, he noticed. Don't they trust me. He looked at his girlfriend, his rock in these unstable times, and saw with some trepidation that she, too, didn't seem too excited. What is going on here? We are about to change the world together. Maybe a rousing speech will lift their spirits.

      "This is the end of the tunnel," he shouted. "Once we get up and onto the surface, we'll march past the Burger World, edge near the woods, then move around to the hospital. A lot of you will hold your positions and keep our route secured while I go inside and WIN THIS WAR!" There was a cheer from the crowd, but not nearly as loud of one as he would have expected for such an historic moment. He gave the group a warm smile anyway, and opened the hatch. "Teams 1, 2, and 3, go first. Secure the area. Then the rest will start pouring out."

      A large fraction of the army filed up the ladder and out onto the surface. Meghan moved with the rest of them, but he grabbed her by the arm and pulled her aside. "How are you holding up?" he asked.

      "I'm fine," she claimed, but her face gave her away. She must have realized this, because she quickly added "I'm a little scared, is all."

      "Scared? Of what? We've been out on much more dangerous missions than this. By comparison, this will be a walk in the park." He smiled at her.

      "I know that, I... I just want this to be over. I want this to be behind us."

      He lifted her chin and met her eyes. "Soon it will be."

      "Area secure!" one of the grunts from Team 3 called down the hatch.

      "That's our cue," Jacques said, and headed up to the surface. The rest of the SubTerrans followed him, one at a time. It was an arduous task, but one they were all used to by now. Within minutes, another hundred joined the army at the top, with more coming out every second.

      A sudden rustling coming toward them in the grass caught the group's attention. Immediately, a protective cordon of soldiers formed around their leader. "It's alright, boys," he said from the center. "Probably just another caterpillar."

      But it wasn't a caterpillar; it was a spider instead. And this spider was unlike any the SubTerrans had encountered before. This one was being ridden by a parv.

      "Ahoy there, Jacques," Carlisle said from on top of his mount.

      "Ah, Carlisle, my old friend. I wondered what happened to you. I look forward to sticking you back in that cage back home."

      "I hope there is room for all of us," the general said and gave a whistle. Within moments the entire group of SubTerrans were surround by a new group of parvs, some on foot, some riding on top of spiders and insects. Everyone was armed with a sharp piece of stick, and they brandished it threateningly. The SubTerrans pulled out their own weapons, metal pieces of pins.

      The two armies eyed each other for a long moment. The SubTerrans had the numbers, the Lost had the position. Nobody made a move. Nobody blinked.

      Then all at once, the war started.